Ready To Ride...Quilt

Last Saturday while we were in Huntington two garbage bags full of Harley-Davidson t-shirts from all over the place were delivered to me by two of the sweetest people (didn't get to meet the driver of the van, but I am sure he is a jewel also.) As I wrote about in the previous blog, I have been asked to whip up a few quilts for a fundraiser in May. I have been working a little bit at a time all week in between family, the girls and everything in between. From those two bags, I have been able to cut 42 12 1/2"x12 1/2" squares...enough for two twin size quilts and 2 extra to make a small pillow.
I am thrilled with the extra 25 very over sized designs. I think I will be able to get at least two maybe three throw size quilts. Maybe more pillows or a purse.
I am trying to use every piece of the t-shirts as bindings, backing...whatever I need. I cut emblems and designs that were way to small for the actual quilts and plan to make them into something...don't know what yet.

One of my sisters friends from way back, Vicki, has put out a plea on FB for more t-shirts. They are coming from AL, WV, NC, Vegas and a few more states that I can't recall at the moment. We have some stranded in S. Charleston, WV at the dealership that we are trying to find a pick-up person for...any volunteers? Just let me know by email or a comment on the blog. This weekend I hope to be able to go to the fabric store and pick up all the things that I need to get started. May 2 will be here before I turn around. So I had better get crackin'...I plan to make as many quilts as I get t-shirts. I don't care if I have to stay up 24-7 to get them finished. I pray that they make tons of money to help with family with their expenses.

Comments

Popular Posts