A Happy/Sad Road Trip

 A little backstory will help you understand this post.

For many years, ever since I can remember going to the lake, Dale Hollow Lake, actually Star Point Resort, we have known the Greene family for more than 60 years  Each year the Greene's, The Funk's, and our family would camp at Star Point.  Our friendship has lasted through time. We would fish, ski, take boat rides, ride mini bikes, meet other families, sit around a campfire, try to walk to the graveyard, laugh, and cry.  We knew we were living our best lives.

A few weeks ago I began to text with Sandy and her brother Jody.  Their dad, Joe, wasn't doing well.  I felt for them because I know firsthand how challenging caring for a parent is.

Sadly, Joe passed away last week.  Mark and I made arrangements to attend his celebration of life.  Joe was an amazing man.  Always ready with a hug and a kiss on the head.  He had the best white beard and loved to wear red.  He could fish like no other.  He was a guide on Weiss Lake in Alabama for years.  He would go out early in the morning on Dale Hollow and come back in around noon with a literal boatload of crappie.  A character bigger than life.

Now on to the road trip. On every trip we take I always take a moment before I get in the car and pray for safe travels.   I know that Wammyville was praying the same prayer.  That's just how they are, always concerned about and for us.  We are extremely blessed!

One other thing we almost always do is listen to a book. We try to find a book that will last as long as our trip.  On this trip, we listened to The Stranger In The Lifeboat by Mitch Albom.  The most important idea in the book is that God is with us all the time.

This happened on the Interstate about a mile from Williamtown, KY. exit.  The Ark Encounter exit. 

Mark called a tow truck and they said they would be there in 30 minutes.  To help our time schedule he decided we could get the tire off and have the replacement tire ready to go.

I forgot to say one thing.  We had loaded all the antiques that we were taking to Jody.   He has some awesome buildings filled with tons of treasures.  He participates in the 127 Yard Sale.  He finds things close to us and we pick them up for him and then when he is in the area he picks them up.

We took turns with the jack until the car made a loud sound as it fell off the jack.

God sent two angels for the Ark Encounter to change our tire and reload all of Jody's treasures.  They even told us where to go to get the tire fixed!

Then our next angel showed up.  He wasn't sure he could repair the tire.  But low and behold about 10 minutes, if that, he was putting our repaired tire back on the car and we were on our way.

It was great to be able to be there and get to hug Sandy and Jody.  The pictures that they had chosen for the video brought back lots of memories.  Walking out of the funeral home I found this heart hidden in a bush.  God made sure I would find it.  It now has a permanent place in my Bible.

Mark surprised me by taking me to lunch at one of my favorite places on the planet...Shakertown in Harrodsburg, KY.  This place holds a lot of memories for me.  Mark and I stayed there for Cassie's graduation from Asbury.  Sandy worked there during high school and I would visit.  One year when I took Dewey and Betsy on the 127 Yard Sale we stopped for dinner.  Love that place.

I wasn't feeling too great so I had mini biscuits with shaved country ham and some of the most amazing gravy I have ever put in my mouth.  And it came with apple butter.  Yes, please.

Dessert was of course a piece of my favorite lemon pie.

We made it home before dark without any problems. Both of us were tired and my mouth was killing me.  More on that later.

I'm so glad we were able to go but wished we didn't have to.

Comments

Popular Posts