Capstone Weekend

 

Wammyville was close so we could attend Ellis' Capstone Presentation.  He has been homeschooled all 12 years and this was the culmination of those 12 years.  And I am so proud and so blown away!

Another proud Mom moment for me.  Cassie is the Executive Director of the Co-Op.


Ellis begins his speech.  I love his business card.  It is perfect! Proud Wammy moment too!

Here is his presentation.

Ellis Oakes
Senior Capstone Project- Photography Business

EIN, ISO, LLC, RGB. You may not be familiar with these abbreviations and when I started my Senior Capstone Project these were new to me too. In 2022, I took an introductory photography class and realized I am interested in figuring out the mechanics of the camera and the creativity involved. I started taking pictures and making videos for my friends. While brainstorming ideas for my project, I thought about things I already enjoy. The goal of my project was to research how to become a legal business in the state of Indiana and create a working website able to book and invoice multiple clients and deliver edited galleries.

I performed several steps for both the performance, and the business part of the project. For the more practical performance tasks, I researched website organizers and chose Pixieset.. After purchasing my subscription, I designed my website, created a portfolio, set up payment methods, and formatted correspondence with clients. New skills that I gained included editing, camera settings, and interacting with the client. For the legal side of the project I worked with a small business mentor from the Indiana Small Business Development Center. Mr. Moeller assisted me in a 6 step process to acquire my LLC and EIN from the state of Indiana.

From this project I learned that running a photography business requires more than taking great photographs. It requires preparatory and post shoot communication with the client, interpersonal skills at the shoot, as well as organization in processing legal documents with the state. I made mistakes that taught me the importance of communicating my payment process. I also improved my editing style. Meeting with my mentor, Vanessa Stoller, helped me gain knowledge in how to set up my website, market and book clients, as well as understand what the flow of a shoot should be. I gained the confidence to take a client from inquiry to delivery making the process as smooth as possible for me and the client.

Please check out his website.  And if you ever need family pics...he can schedule you when he is here.  His business is doing great thanks to the homeschool families, his teammates, and word of mouth.

Check it out here...Ellis Oakes Photography.

He is going to kill me but I thought for sure he would mention that he got interested in photography while we were on our Colorado trip and we started the Photo Challenges...which was my brainstorm.


Comments

Popular Posts