The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't

 At first this year we didn't think anyone was coming for Thanksgiving on the traditional day of Thursday.  So Mark made the executive decision to have our Thanksgiving on Wed.  So that is the day we had planned on.  Then there was the menu.  He again switched it up and we were going to have steaks grilled by the men and salmon made to perfection by Emmy.  Cassie was going to bring Derby pie and everyone else was going to bring a certain dish to share.  Perfect!

And then you could say that a giant cloud started to hover over the Oakes and Bryce and his family.  Ellis has been sick for days.  Bryce is running a fever. They all made the decision that they didn't wasn't to bring the sickness into our house...you know because we are OLD.

Instead of the original number of 14, the number dwindled down to 6.  Everyone was bummer so say the least!   Emmy came early to help me cut up veggies.  Sarah and "Jack" were here on time which was a miracle (JK...not), and Micahel didn't have to work. 

The table wasn't really pretty but my heart really wasn't in it.  I did find the Thanksgiving tablecloth we write our blessing on each year.  That made me happy.

I grilled my own steak.  I used a cast iron skillet on top of and in the over.  I'm telling you the flavor was amazing!  I'll do the other half really soon.

I found a new fudge recipe that I like.  Might need to work with it a little to make it taste like my grandmother's so I get that little feeling in my throat that makes me cry.

I made two pecan pies.  One was the Brenda Gantt recipe and one was the one on the back of the light Karo syrup container.  The one we kept was awful!  I traded Zach a pie for some steaks.  I got the better end of the deal for sure.  I felt so bad about it that I made another one today and watched over it like a hawk.  Hope it was good.

We played a really fun game after dinner that Cassie had found.  Everyone brought a wrapped Christmas ornament and we rolled the dice and then had to do with the number said.  Big gamblers we are!  Then Mark had a trivia game about Thanksgiving.

It turned out to be a fun day.  I did turn my frown upside down by the end of the day.

Please no one be sick this Christmas!


      

Comments

Popular Posts