Round Two: 300 Masks For The Christ Hospital


We have been asked to make these masks with these ties. It has been a learning curve for me.

I have found that shoelaces are way easier and take less time than making your one 'quilt binding' or using bias tape.

Bias tape looks more like 'hospitalish'.

These homemade bias tapes look good too.

We have all different skill levels which is great because we can all learn little tricks from each other and we are an encouragement to each other.

Some even think outside the box and make them from a pair of leggings!  (Find the tutorial on YouTube)

I was asked to make what I am referring to as extenders.  The elastic bands are killing the tops of the ears.  A nurse sent me this pic and wanted to know if I had ribbon and buttons.

I had no ribbon but I have a jar of my grandmother's buttons.  I tried first seeing these with the regular machine but it took too long to turn the fabric right side out.  I brought the serer up to the kitchen and made four in about 20 minutes counting sewing on the buttons.  These might go into ms production if needed.  I haven't gotten any feedback yet.

Here is the difference in the shoelaces.  Both work.

We all were going great guns.  Sharing pics of what we had done and sending texts back and forth...

And then this happened!  Oh, shoot!  But I think I might have said something else.  This lip edge ruler is the best and makes things so much easier.

Friday I think it was...enough laces to make 156 masks!!!  I am glad to announce have all been added to 2, 9x6 rectangles of cotton fabric which makes up one mask kit.


Ten of those kits are them placed in a gallon size bag for easy grabbing.  I'm calling this a mega bag.

When the mega bags are returned 25 finished masks will be placed in a gallon bag and kept back until we get all 300 backs that then will be taken to The Christ Hospital for disinfecting and distribution.

I had to send out an SOS (Searching Out Shoelaces).  It wasn't too long before I two front porch deliveries.



This how we start each morning.  There is a crate for everything.  And the deacon's bench that my dad built is the pick-up and drop-off spot.  It starts out empty and gets filled up by mid-morning and then will empty out and fill up another three times during the day.  But usually, by the end of the night, it is cleared out.

At one point today there was no room for anything else to go on the bench.

Comments

Popular Posts