Sewing For A Good Cause

I got a call from my brother and sister-in-law the other night.  They both work at St. Mary's Medical Center in Huntington (where my dad, sister and I sent a lot of time a few years back when my dad had bladder cancer.  Amazing hospital with super caregivers.  They are about to run out of masks.  So they asked if I could sew some for them as fast as I could.  I said of course and immediately sent out an SOS for helpers on Facebook.  I then headed for the basement to pull out all of my cotton fabric.  

After a few phone calls back and forth we nailed down the pattern and then we were off to the races.

A friend of Huntington, Sara, that goes to our church is on it!

This morning these 'church cookies' and more fabric were delivered to the front door by Alisha who says she can't sew but she would share her stash.

Mark even helped me make up the kits.

This is 55 almost complete kits.  We are having trouble getting elastic.  Several friends have been on the phone, some have been pounding the pavement looking for it.  There are several people making masks for all the hospitals in the Cincinnati area, so there is a definite shortage.  And if your try to order some it is on backorder or can't be delivered for a few weeks.  They need the masks now or at the latest next week.

52 almost ready to package.

My up the street neighbor Jen, hear about our dilemma and check her sewing stash.  She had enough of the right size and kind of elastic to complete 15 kits.

So tomorrow morning the elastic search will continue.  The finished kits will be put on the front porch for anyone that wants to sew a mask.  Please come and pick up ASAP so we can get them in the mail and on their way.

If you PM me on Facebook I can give you the link to show you how to sew them.  But I will also have to explain the way they would like to have their's done.  Or you can text me.

We aren't finished yet because I have more fabric!

Comments

Popular Posts