Sad Day And Then A Good Day

I knew the day would come.  I know it was the right thing to but that didn't make it any easier. 

Mark and I took both Stitch and Ella to the vet last Thurs a few days after Wammyville closed.  I just didn't think I could explain it to the yahoos.  

I didn't know how I was going to tell my sister.  She knew that time was drawing near and she always said that she didn't know when it happened.   I finally talked to her on Wednesday night.  We cried.  We told stories about Stitch and stories about my dad.  How much we wished he was still here because we had lots of things that we needed help with that we knew he would know what to do and how to take care of.  We laughed and told funny stories.  By the end of the conversation, I think we were both okay with it all.  It was the right thing to do. 

I was having a rough time and the awesome families of Wammyville came to my rescue.  I was sitting out in the backyard enjoying the handiwork of many hands when the moms of Wammyville ( some with the yahoos) came streaming through the back gate.  They brought my favorites, lots of love and hugs of encouragement.

favorite CFL milkshakes, s'more makings, salty snacks, beautiful flowers, homemade lavender stress ball, drawings of Stitch and Ella, beautiful flowers, and a bag with two cardinals ( Do you know what red cardinals mean?  If one shows up in your yard it is said that it means that someone in heaven is thinking of you.)  I was a little weepy but I have to tell the funniest part of the story.  We had the new lights on around the patio (they are the best ever) and Cooper comes through the gate and says as only Cooper can..."Hey, what's going on a funeral or something?)  We all laughed and rolled our eyes.  I love that kid!  Then he couldn't hug on me enough!

Laney the artist captured them perfectly!

A week or so earlier I had entered Ella and Stitch in a contest held by Biggby Coffee in Loveland.  And look at what happened because I have awesome Facebook friends!  I haven't been in to pick up our prize.  Think I will do that at the end of the week when Ellis and Alaire are here.


So a really rough day turned into not a so rough day thanks to lots of caring big and little people.  We talked about showing concern/care in Life Group.  We also talked about how we all need to step up and help when someone is in need.  Just simply being there for others.  Mark read a story about Pooh, Piglet, and Eeyore. 



It occurred to Pooh and Piglet that they hadn't heard from Eeyore for several days, so they put on their hats and coats and trotted across the Hundred Acre Wood to Eeyore's house. Inside the house was Eeyore.

"Hello Eeyore," said Pooh. 

"Hello Pooh. Hello Piglet" said Eeyore, in a Glum sounding voice.

"We just thought we'd check on you," said Piglet, "because we hadn't heard from you, and so we wanted to know if you were okay."

Eeyore was silent for a moment. "Am I okay?" he asked, eventually. "Well, I don't know, to be honest. Are any of us really okay? That's what I ask myself. All I can tell you, Pooh and Piglet, is that right now I feel really rather Sad, and Alone, and Not Much Fun To Be Around At All. 

Which is why I haven't bothered you. Because you wouldn't want to waste your time hanging out with someone who is Sad, and Alone, and Not Much Fun To Be Around At All, would you now."

Pooh looked and Piglet, and Piglet looked at Pooh, and they both sat down, one on either side of Eeyore in his stick house.

Eeyore looked at them in surprise. "What are you doing?"

"We're sitting here with you," said Pooh, "because we are your friends. And true friends don't care if someone is feeling Sad, or Alone, or Not Much Fun To Be Around At All. True friends are there for you anyway. And so here we are."

"Oh," said Eeyore. "Oh." And the three of them sat there in silence, and while Pooh and Piglet said nothing at all; somehow, almost imperceptibly, Eeyore started to feel a very tiny little bit better. 

Because Pooh and Piglet were There.
No more; no less.

Author - AA Milne
Illustration - EH Shepard


Comments

Popular Posts