Train Ride To Hinton, WV

My dad, his two sisters, and Dustin (the grandson, chaperone) boarded the Amtrack in Huntington on Saturday morning for a day they will never forget.  They traveled from Huntington to Hinton, WV.

This is one happy camper.  He loves a good train ride.  I think the last one he was on was the trip to see us in WI or maybe it was to Cassie's wedding in Charlottesville, VA.  I can see the utter joy on his face.  and that smile says volumes!

It took a village to make this trip happen.  The train crew could not have been more accommodating.  Ay aunts are singing their praises!  Someone was always there to help with whatever they needed.  And thank you, Dustin, for going with them.  I don't think they could have done it without you!

My cousin, Kim, dropped them off at the train station in Huntington and then raced back to Milton to get a few shots of them passing through close to her house.

And here they come!

They got to sit up in the dome car....Super Dome.  And it was perfect for seeing all the mountains and taking pictures.  Only one problem...you had to be really fast on the shutter or you missed the shot.  I can't wait to see what my dad ended up with.

When I asked him a million questions the other night on the phone I figured out that he was most impressed with the house sized boulders that were in the river.

They got to eat breakfast and dinner on the train.  Both were delicious!  The kitchen was in the lower level of the dome car so their meals were piping hot when they were served.

There were 2,400 sightseeing  on the train and they all got off at Hinton for the street festival.  One of my aunts remembered walking up the hill as a little girl.  You see, my PopPaw worked on the railroad building the bridges.  So that was exciting for them.  Getting up the hill was a breeze because the got to ride in a cart...being 'the old farts' as Kim calls them.  While they were at the street fair they took turns pushing and pulling my dad with his walker  It was decided that next year he is taking his wheelchair or scooter.

Both of my aunts are crafty.  So they were really interested in all the booths that were set up.  I am positive that they came back with lots of ideas.


I know exactly where this is...under the New River Bridge!  Been there lots of times on a raft.  This is also where Bridge Day is held.  Check it out on YouTube.  You can't imagine what some people do off this bridge.

These three play cards at least twice a week.  They crack me up!  There are a million stories I could tell you about their card playing adventures.

And here they are coming back to Huntington after a day on the rails.

I am so thankful that they all got to go.  I am very appreciative of Kim for all the pictures and Dustin for going and making sure they were all brought back home safe and sound.  He sent some shots through the day so I could see what they were doing.  I think I heard that they are planning to go again next year.  Think I am marking it on my calendar now because it would be great fun...even though I am not a very good card player.
These trips could be training/practice for the trip across Canada that my dad has always wanted to go on.  Better get to envelopes started for that trip.





Comments

Popular Posts