Assisting In A 'Chicken Surgery'

A friend of mine called and said that her chicken had hurt her beak and it was bleeding, what should she do.  I asked her to send me pictures.





I put on my nursing attire and put the red cross on the van and I was gone!  We both checked the Internet to see what to do.  I even sent pics to all my chicken farmer friends to see what they would do.

All this time I thought their beaks were just like our fingernails.  If they break off the would just grow back.  And definitely no blood. Little did I know.

this is Doodle.  She is a Silver-laced Wyandotte. 
 Sharone cleaned it off really well after the bleeding stopped.

Super glue and tea bag paper

We decided to put a piece of cardboard between her beak so we wouldn't superglue it together.  We Had to call in extra professional, steady hands to help.  Kayla came to the rescue!

After the glue dried there was just a little filing and clipping to be done.

Crazy the things you will do for your animals.

All mended and ready to go back to the coop.

Had to go to the barn to look for glues so the horses needed a little attention, especially that cuddly one.  She didn't want her picture taken, at all.


Morning Rounds Report:  "She looks good.  No new bleeding.  She was eating the scratch and worms this morning and is in the nesting box now."   I am happy to report that Doodle will live many more days laying eggs and being a happy chicken.


Comments

Popular Posts