A Life Lived To The Fullest

We got the dreaded call from Terry during dinner telling us that Keith (Papaw) has passed away peacefully in his apartment.  I feel two ways about this.  Part of me, of course, is sad and doesn't want to believe it is true.  The other part of me smiles while rememberings the times and all the crazy things Papaw did with us.  He was always up for some fun and good times always happened when he was around.  I would describe him and hard working and always working an angle.  He always had something up his sleeve.  He was a great provider for his family even when times were hard.  He took excellent care of Mamaw through her good days and her bad ones.  He loved  'daughters' unconditionally.  He adored his grand and great grand kids.  He was the neighborhood lookout and helper.  He loved the beach and fried bologna sandwiches.  Brown beans and cornbread with fried potatoes with a side of yellow cake with chocolate icing was his go to meal.  And heaven help us all if you forgot his cup of steaming black coffee and bread and butter on the table.  He loved a good garden and he enjoyed planting flower beds that would bloom for his bride.  He loved to walk the beach.  You could tell by the dark golden tan he always seemed to come home with.  He loved to be center stage...being goofy or playing his guitar.  He always found little trinkets to give us.  You never knew when he would find just the right thing for you.  Something it was as simple as an old t-shirt or a handkerchief that belonged to someone in the family.  I always called them treasures because that is what there were...treasures to me.  And he loved my chickens and was so excited about the goats coming.  

Today I have taken the time to sit and think about all the people that came to the visitation.  Each of them seemed to have a story to tell.  There were tears of course but I think there were more smiles and laughter.  And I think that is a good thing.  The service on Good Friday was just as he would have wanted.  A wooden casket draped with an American Flag (he might have thought that was too much, but to all of us it was important) flanked by two simple arrangements of red, white and blue flowers.  Mark spoke and told of his three loves, his wife, his family, and his grandchildren and his great-grandchildren.  Those three things made his the happiest.

We will miss sweet Pap.  I am sure I will pick up the phone to call him and check in a few times before I remember.  Bt I will remember all the years of adventures we shared.

AWATAMACAUSI       and         OFFATATOMANEWHOW

Comments

Popular Posts