A Long Night For Everyone

The call came....we need a ride...are you available?  Well of course!  Andy, Lizzie, Anna, Moses, and new baby Thomas came to Lizzie's sister's wedding last week.  They were riding the train back to MO.  We (Mark and I) were more than happy to provide transportation.  They had tickets on The Cardinal at 1:45 AM on Saturday morning!  We are in Milford.  They were in Hillsboro and the train station is at the Museum Center in downtown Cincinnati.

We got to Lizzie's parents house and the yard was lined with buggies.  We went into a sea of Amish women and children in the kitchen.  The men were all in the other room.  Andy was running around trying to get everything ready.  Cousins were saying goodbye.  And I grabbed the baby from Lizzie.  Nice to meet you Thomas.

We pile into the van.  They had given Anna something really strong for carsickness so she was  out the entire time.  I came prepared.  Bucket lined with plastic bags filled with paper towels.  Baby wipes and more paper towels.  And Frebreeze.  This was not my first rodeo.

I wanted to hear all about MO and the wedding but Andy and Lizzie were just too tired.  Exhausted would be a better description.  We let them sleep.  When we got to the train station I went in to find where and what time they needed to be in line.  We marked their names off the list but the station master needed to see their tickets.  Mark stayed in the van with Lizzie and the kids while Andy and I went back in to see the station master.  We got permission to park right by the door so everyone could have a more comfortable sleep.  They were facing a 19 hour trip home.  Andy chose not to get back in the van because he was feeling a  little car sick.  We found some comfortable chairs and chatted for a bit until I could tell he was trying so hard to stay awake.  He fell asleep with his head against the wall.

I look to the front of Union Terminal (that's what it was called when I was a little girl) and there stands Mark.  I walk quietly down to where he was and ask what in the world he is doing leaving them out there alone.  He said that the baby started crying so he figured that Lizzie needed to feed him.  AWKWARD   So I go back to the van and check on my passengers.  All sleeping soundly.

After a bit Moses started to fidget a bit.  I got him out and took him in to Andy.  I found Mark and Andy in the Snack Bar.  Andy sleeping on the table and Mark snacking and reading some publication.  We put Moses in the chair beside Andy and he went back to sleep with his little chin on the table.  Complete with his black felt hat still on  his head.  Priceless pic that will be in my mind's eye forever.

Returned back to the van.  I let them sleep a little bit longer.  Lizzie fed Thomas and we carefully woke Anna up.  She is not a happy camper when she is tired.  When we made it to the waiting area they were starting to head to the tracks.  Anna doesn't like small spaces so Mark, Anna, Thomas and I walked down the steps while the others took the elevator.

We didn't have to wait long before we saw lights on the tracks way down the train yard.

And they are on their way.  It was a really quick trip but I as so thankful to spend time with them.  I sure miss them!  Someday I am going to MO and be Amish for a week.

Comments

Popular Posts