The Days and Hikes All Run Together

I should always, always make sure where we are going.  Mark said we were going for a hike.  In my brain I am thinking at the Nature Center.  Nope...we drive an hour to Hillsboro to hike!  By the time we are there I am a it carsick, don't know why.  Every time I read Earthworks I actually saw Earthworms.

There are five trails...none over 3 miles.

The state wide Buckeye Trail is marked with blue blazes and is a state wide trail.

From reading and seeing movies about the AT, I am thinking this could look like it.  Wide in some parts.  Narrow is some areas and trees down across the trail that you either go over or walk around because they are so big.  Spiderwebs across the trail.  Quiet.  And smells unbelievable!

I kept smelling pawpaws.  I knew they were there.  Yea I found some small ones.


pawpaw seeds..cue the music...pickin' up pawpaws put them in your pocket....

I didn't carry my camera in with me because I had an 8 pound day pack  on my back.  Didn't want the extra weight.  Practicing with small steps.  Next hike...10 pounds.  And I will be practicing with my camera phone also.

The ferns were beautiful  Several different varieties.  Need to find my Wildflowers of Ohio book.


The Gorge Trail will be the last one that we do because it is said to be the most challenging trail.

Took a sharp right turn thinking we had finished with our upward climb...

Nope.  It was up for sure, straight up!

See that speck...that's Mark way down at the bottom.

Ever so slowly making my way to the top...or at least I thought it was the top.





We finally found the 'earthworms'.  'Fort Hill is an ancient walled enclosure of earth ads stone constructed by Native Americans at an estimated 2000 years ago.Most likely it was not a fort at all but a ceremonial gathering space.  It is likely that the architects were of the Hopewell Culture.  The Earthworks has a circumference of 1.5 miles with 36 constructed gateways.

Once we made it to the very top by walking the ridges we found a little break thru in the trees.  I was so excited to see a rainbow.

So far so goo...neither one of us died!  It was hard!  We had to take a little sit down break....which would come back to bit us in the butt.


The corns were three to four times bigger than the ones we have in the back yard.

Tailmarkers




Remember just a bit ago I said that our little sit down would come back to bit us in the butt.  Well....we finished the hike,  took off our boots, had some snack, took a potty break and then set out on our way.  We never go straight home, always taking some backroad to see where it will take us.  It is getting late so we decided we better get out the GPS and find out how far we are from home and how to get back home.  Searched everywhere for Mark's phone.  Not in the bag anywhere. Stopped the van on the side of the road.  Dug through everything.  NO PHONE!  I call it.  NO ANSWER!  Mark freaks and speeds back to Fort Hill.  And bad thing is ...there is no phone reception on the trail.We decide to walk the trail backwards hoping it won't be too far up the trail.  Funny how fast you can go straight up the hill when you have to.  I am in front and I first hear people talking.  Then I see three people coming down the path in front of me.  The girl in front is carrying Mark's phone.  OH MY!  They tried to call and left a message but I didn't get it until we were miles towards home.  They were so nice and funny.  Come to find out that the guy leads hikes and all kinds of other outdoor adventures.  They have been everywhere all over the country hiking and such.  So now I will have three new friends on FB..I feel like I should make them some granola or something!




Countdown...20 miles out of 100 so far!

























Comments

Popular Posts