Crazy Surprise

I checked my email late on Wednesday night.  There was something from Rue (you know the other English person associated with the Amish CSA, Cedarmore Farm).  I figured it was about the upcoming newsletter and our first boxes that are coming out on Tuesday.  Nope, Andy and Dennis had shown up on Rue and Susan's doorstep about 10:30PM on Wednesday night.  Andy wanted Rue to get in touch with me to see if I could be their driver on Friday night.  They needed to be at the Greyhound Bus Station in Dayton, OH close to 8PM.

Well, of course I will be the driver!!!
 
About 4:00PM I left the house.  I hit the gas station for gas and snacks, ran in the Dollar Store for bubbles and chalk and then I hit the road running....being very mindful of the ever changing speed limits in every little town bump in the road on the way to Hillsboro.
 
I get to John and Anna Zook's around 5:15PM.  Making great time.  I get to visit with John and Anna and all the kids.  The girls are busy making 90 chocolate chip cookies.  They had already made a table full of bread and a huge bowl of butter.  Anna was working on making pleats in four white starched caps.  We got to play for about 15 minutes.  I was able to take a few pictures for the blog (Cedarmore Farm CSA).  We threw one suitcase, one large duck taped box and a black bag and water Thermos in the back of the van and we were off....racing the clock, as we always seem to do when we make this run.
 
I forgot to mention that before we left Andy and Dennis had a fried egg sandwich.  That will be important later on in the story.
 
As we are driving I hear Dennis snoring in the back.  That is a good sign.  Andy and I are chit chatting about everything under the sun.  I ask him all my gardening questions.  I ask him about he CSA and how it looks for next weeks first box.  We talk about Lizzie and the kids.  He asks if I'm still planning a visit.  I said that I hope to come in June or July while Michael is at Summer Camp.  He said that would be a good time.  Or maybe in August when I could meet the newest addition to the family.  We talked about school.  About church and the new community, which has now grown to 7 families and more are on the way.  We compared the weather.  Then we heard rumblings.  Dennis saying he didn't feel well.  Then Andy says we better find somewhere to get something for them both to drink because he felt a little queasy too.  Well don't you know out in the flatlands of Farmville USA there are no McDonald's or anything thing.  Finally we run into a little cracker box of a gas station.  He goes in and gets a Pepsi.

We have about an hour left in our time together...things were going so well...until I heard it.  That sound that makes me want to throw up.  Gagging from deep in Dennis's toes.  It was all over.  Literally...all over him and the back seat, the car seat, the door, the floor mat...now I'm wondering just how many of those egg sandwiches he had!  Because it looked to be at least 10.  I use to love a good fried egg sandwich!

You need to know that Andy and I both have very week stomachs.  Very, very, weak!  I driving with all the windows open, the air on full blast, with my shirt pulled up to under my eyes.  Gagging all the way down the road.  Andy, bless his heart, is gagging for all he is worth while trying to figure out what to do with all the puke.

We pull into the Greyhound Station with 30 minutes until the bus leaves.  I give Andy a plastic bag and as many napkins as I can come up with.  Then I head to the back of the van to unload all their stuff.  And it is all I can do not to laugh, cry and gag.  Andy is trying to clean it up in between bending over from the waist and gaging from his toes.  At one point he said, "where is Lizzie when you need her?"  Dennis is standing by the van with evidence all over the front of him.  I just can't tell you how awful it was.  And I felt bad for them because they had to get on a bus and drive for 19 hours before reaching home and then about an hour car ride after that.  I felt bad for me because I had a little over an hour ride home with THAT SMELL.

Andy does the best that he can do and we head for the station...Amish farmer with a huge duck taped box looking a little green, me with a suitcase and black bag, and Dennis with the water cooler, still with evidence all over his little vest.  We go in and find a seat.  Andy and Dennis head for the bathroom.  I sit with all the stuff.  There seems to be lots of people waiting for the bus this trip.
I become a little concerned with they start counting heads.  What would we have to do to get them on a bus tonight to be home tomorrow?  I started praying!

Thank you Jesus.  May prayers were answered.  They got on. 
 
It's funny the way the English and the Amish differ when saying goodbye.  We English hug and even sometimes cry.  The Amish, from what I have seen, just say goodbye and turn and go.  I think it might be easier that way.  But I always wait to see the bus pull out into traffic.  Then I know they are on their way back home to the new life in MO on CedarOak Farm.  Still doesn't make me miss them any less.

 

Comments

Popular Posts