Questions For My Birding Friends...

How in the world do you tell the difference between a Hairy woodpecker and a Downy woodpecker?

We have lots of these little jewels...with and without red caps.

In our Birds Of Ohio Field Guide a downy...is a small woodpecker with an all white belly, black and white spotted wings, a black line running through the eyes, a short black bill, a white stripe down the back and a red mark on the back of the head.  Several small black spots along the sides of a white tail.
 
A Hairy woodpecker is black and white with a white belly, and black wings with rows of white spots.  White spot down the back.  Long black bill.  Red mark on the back of the head.

And can someone please tell me what this little bird is called.
(Thanks Gloria...it is a wren)
 
These aren't as sharp and clear as I would like them to be...maybe I should clean the glass doors before I shoot!  Brilliance runs in the family!

Comments

Popular Posts