Injured Woodpecker

We were taking a much needed break while working on the compost bins when we heard a thud...the kind of sound that you know is a bird flying into a pane of glass.  In a few minutes I had to get something out of the garage and walked passed the patio and saw this fledgling red-bellied woodpecker.  Stunned!  So stunned that he just let me take all kinds of pictures...but somehow got all his marbles together when I started to pick him up.

I chased this silly bird all over the yard.  And Mark right behind me clicking pictures as fast as he could.

 Finally got him.  I think he might have a broken wing.  I try to do what I can and decide that his parents that are up in the oak tree just giving me what for, probably could do a better job.  So I put him down and he goes to hide in the flower bed.

The next morning I get up and go outside to give the hummingbirds new water and I hear leaves rustling and a bird crying.  I look in the window well and see my little feathered friend...stuck!  I put a long board in thinking that maybe he might try to climb out but no.

Not to fear...my trusted animal rescuer/lover showed up to help.
 
A million and one questions resulted with the capture.

We again decided to let nature take it's course and let him hop to a safer hiding place.  But Alaire was not having any of that.  She chased him thru the ditch lilies.

With a little coaching from Ellis and me, she was able to hold him for a little while.  We then turned him lose and prayed for the best.  Haven't seem him or a pile of feathers anywhere so I am taking that as a good sign.

Comments

Popular Posts