Unity Woods

 We have been planning this little get away trip for some time.  But the weather didn't cooperate so now the staying in the cabin part is being pushed off until in the fall...say end of October.  Hopefully it will have cooled off by then and the burn ban will have been lifted.  Because I know that Ellis is going to have a conniption if we don't do it. And we will hear about it until we do it! We promised!

One day about a year ago Mark and I were out driving the country roads and stumbled upon this little jewel.  The owners, Jeff and Cindy Cates, were so kind and let me take pictures of their hundreds of humming birds and even said we could drive down and check out the place.  They even taught us about a beauty berry bush, which we now have in the yard.  We knew then someday we would be back.

I have to ask about this barn hanging.  I love it and it is very interesting.  I just know there is a good story behind it.

I like the green and white nine patch on the side of the green barn.



So on the fourth of July in the smoldering heat we loaded up all the kids and headed for West Union.  Fishing poles, sunscreen, bug spray and a bags full of snacks and drinks!

It is such a clean and tidy place. Very tranquil.  And quiet until you have three kids running around the lake yelling with pure joy and excitement every time someone catches a fish.

Pappy made sure that everyone had a new fishing pole.  We had three different kinds of worms too.  Plus two cane poles I got from FreeCycle, and my fly rod.

first bass

I caught that bass on my fly rod.  That was fun!  I think I might have been yelling just a bit too!

Michael caught the biggest and bluest bluegill I have even seen.  And I have seen a few boat loads of bluegill.  After he caught his one and only fish he was done.  Couldn't stand the sight of the worms going on the hook or toughing the slimy fish.  Such a sissy sometimes.  He and Alaire enjoyed the snacks and Alaire also thought it was fun to pour the water from the water bottles all over her head.

Ellis loves touching and holding each fish.  Oh and that wonderful aroma of fish on your hands for the rest of the day took me back to our vacations at Dale Hollow Lake...Star Point to be exact.  Except here, there were no ducks to feed all the worms to.

Mark got a little fishing time in....not much because he was the untangler (I just made that word up) and worm putter-on-er. I offered several times to take my turn, really I did.



Ellis with his catch...a good size sunfish.

Mark did get to try out one of his top water baits.


Best catch of the day...I know she weighed at least 3 pounds!  Top water popper...crazy fun!

I thought Ellis was going to pee his pants!  Oh and he so wanted to eat it.  But we tried to explain to him that his pond was a catch and release pond with no barbed hooks.  That  is how come this little bass had grown into such a big bass.  Then after that Ellis kept seeing this bass's daddy in the water...the grand daddy of them all.  I did actually see a catfish or carp as big as Ellis out in the middle coming up for something and lolly gag on the top for a bit.  I about dropped my teeth when I saw it!  I am sure that he has a special name.

One of Mark;s jobs of the day was to send pics and videos to Cassie, Trevor and my Dad.  I was taking this shot but Ellis moved away before I could zoom in on him stretching the worms to their breaking point.



Ellis did not care how hot it was...he was going to catch the most and the biggest fish.  He and I tied with four fish each.  Boy after my own heart.  I could have stayed until dark too.  Then he would have wanted to night fish!  That would have been okay with me too!  We had plenty of bug spray.

We were able to find a picnic table in the shade.  And it stayed shady all day long.  And an extra added bonus...a good fishing spot right down in front.  Doesn't get much more perfect than that.

"Wammy, I'm stuck again."  please read that statement with a high pitched, full of urgency voice.  Then listen to it in her head about a million times.  Gotta love being the Wammy!

Dragon flies of all shapes and colors were everywhere.  But they don't stay in one place for very long.  This is the only not blurry shot I got.  Need to practice on that.

Ellis unlatching the gate to let us out.

I swear the kid has eaten everything in sight these last three weeks.  I can't fill him up.  He will eat his dinner then ask for more and then I will share some of mine with him.  But he never stops moving.  But when he does he crashes...just like his Uncle Bryce did when he was that age.

This is a good tired!


If you are looking for something to do and a great place to kick back and relax I would highly recommend Unity Woods.  Check out their website and like them on FB....you'll be glad you did.

Hey Dad...this next video is for you...How is my technique?  Next time you have to come with us!



Comments

Popular Posts