Wet, Wet and More Wet!

I get so excited every year around this time of year because I know it is time for the Appalachian Festival at Coney.  It has been a tradition for years that on Mother's Day we go as a family.  This year the family consisted of Bryce, Michael and me.  Bridgett at 365 To Do in Cincinnati shared tickets with us.  She shared five tickets so at the ticket booth we paid it forward and gave the remaining two tickets to the people coming in behind us.  Paying it forward is always so fun..

Friday the Festival was filled with school children and the weather was perfect.  Saturday the weather was perfect.  Sunday, lets just say that it was a perfect day for ducks.  But the boys were troopers.  Michael didn't throw to much of a fit when I told him that he would have to wear a poncho. 

First order of business...lunch!  Bryce got a pulled pork sandwich and some brisket.  By the time I got to the table only a piece of bun was left.  I splurged and go two things... a cheesy met loaded with all kinds of goodness and a deep fried PBJ covered in confectioner's sugar.  The met was good but nothing to write home about.  And you are going to think I have lost it when I tell you that the PBJ was delicious.  It was like eating a Beignet with a hint of peanut butter.

I lost the other half of my sandwich to the little monkey next to me.  He give it a two thumbs up and is already planning to have one next year!  I always have corn on the cob but by the time we made it back around to the booth I was so wet and cold all I could think about was getting to the car and getting warm.

It started to pour so we headed for the nearest tent...just happened to be filled with goats. Gosh! So we had to dig out all of our quarters to feed them.  This momma knew what was coming so she just helped herself to a little snack.

And then these two came out of nowhere. I had to coax them over but once they made it to my area of the fence, they never left.  Which was perfectly fine with me.  I think I will name them Frick and Frack.

They were so fun to watch!

I could have brought them home....they loved me

This artisan was from WV.  We made a immediate connection.  Her spoons and things were hand made just like you see in the picture.

I love homemade soaps.  I usually get mine from Lizzie's mom at Cedarmore Farm CSA.  I think we smelled everyone of them.  I bought us one for itchy skin made from goats milk.  I'll let you know if it works.

We always stop by for some samples.  This vendor was sitting wrapped in a nine patch quilt.  She hadn't put any of her samples out and had the pretzels in containers trying to keep them from getting soggy.  But she was willing to let us taste any that we wanted.  I think we tasted about half of them.  Bryce had a good time talking to her about the business and all the shows that she goes to.

We tried to see everything in the Village but most of the people has closed up shop or were sleeping inside their tents.  There were a few braving the elements.  They were more than willing to talk to us and answer all of our questions.


We got the inside scoop from Betsy that the chocolate kettle corn was really good.  So we ended up with a bag of it.  And come to think of it...I haven't seen it since I took this pic.  Hmmm?

We headed home soaked to the bone and freezing cold.  The only dry spot on Michael was his belly.  Bryce and I were wet up to our knees.  I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked.  I was afraid of getting the camera wet.

But we had a great time anyway and will do it all again next year.  Thanks Bridgett for sharing the tickets!  And thanks Bryce and Michael for indulging me on Mother's Day.

Comments

Popular Posts