Reading The Best Book


If only I had a day with just time to sit in the 'reading room' and read this from cover to cover.  Instead I read when I have a spare moment...bits and pieces at a time.  

I have known the Perry's, gosh for years and years.  I remember Heritage Farm when it was just a redone log cabin and a barn or two and Grandma Perry's house. Way back then I thought it was the coolest thing! The Perry 's and the Ellis's crossed paths at Beverly Hills Baptist church in Huntington.  A Michael, known to us as the farmer, and Henriella are the salt of the earth.

We have had Day Camps and Easter Egg Hunts on the Farm.  Henriella taught Bryce and I the proper way to pick blackberries.  Audy, affectionately known to us as 'Aud the Bod' grew up with us in Youth Group.  Michele and her family lived close to us in Cincinnati for a time.  And Mel was a member of 'the convent' during college and spent some time at our house with that group of girls.

When we go back home and go to church The Perry's are one of the families we seek out for hugs and smiles.  Last time I was home I told A Michael that I saw him on American Pickers and had never visited the farm 'all done up'.  He said we would have to fix that.  I dream of staying in one of the log cabins...it is one of the things on my bucket list.  I live my dream of  having a farm with animals and a log cabin thru A. Michael and Henriella.

A friend of mine from Sunday School at Beverly Hills posted about the book coming out on FB last week.  I wanted to jump in the van and drive to Huntington to pick up my copy right that minute.  Then ordered it on line instead.  It came yesterday!  I love it!  I can remember some of the stories.  I know the people that are mentioned.  I've seen pictures of the burnt out log cabin.  I have walked the roads and hills around the farm.  I am reliving cherished moments of  'growing up'.   I know the buildings represented on the front cover of the book.

I could go on forever and ever!  

And if you know me you know that I am just a little bit on the teary side.  I didn't make it past the first paragraph.  When Audy told the story of one of his law partners saying that A. Michael always hit the Four 'F's---Faith, Family, Friends and Farm, I lost it.  No truer words were ever spoken or written.

I would encourage you to get a copy and sit for while and read about a family that loves each other to the moon and back.  A family dedicated to God and preserving the Appalachian Heritage that so richly fills the hills and hollers and so many of us.  They also have a blog...Heritage Farm Museum and Village...that you should check out!

Comments

Popular Posts