Date Night With The Ellis Men

My Dad has been talking about a dream that he has of taking a train across Canada.  The Museum Center at Union Terminal is showing The Rocky Mountain Express in the OMNIMAX Theater .  I thought I would go see it to see if he might enjoy it the next time he visits.  I have to say...NO WAY am I taking him!  He would be so sick within the first five seconds of the showing.  You see we both are bothered by heights and things that move in circles.  We tend to get a little, well, a lot nauseous.  Don't get me wrong, it is a great show.  We learned a lot and I think it would be a great trip to take on the Canadian Pacific.  
Note to self...next trip to OMNIMAX...sit at the very top and to the middle.

Life at the terminal is so different at night then in the day with all the cars and people coming and going.  Last night it was so calm and quiet.  You could actually take the time to look at the architecture and artwork without seeming like such a geek.

The other day when we had all the kids here exploring, I never noticed this huge flag hanging above the doors.  (Little Ernie this one is for you)  I must have been too busy counting heads.

I am going to have to do some research on this mural that goes around the entire rotunda.  It seems to be very small little ceramic tiles.

Our next trip I will use my other lens and try to get some close ups so you can marvel at the artwork.  There must be millions of little tiles.



Back in the day this was an actual train station.  My family once rode the train from Huntington to go to the Cincinnati Zoo.  I was in elementary school.  I have a picture of us sitting on the lawn in front of the building on our cute little round white suitcases..  And today when I was talking to my Dad, he told me that he has a picture of him as a very little boy in front of the Terminal also.  I hope he can find it.

I would call this the projection room because these are the huge reels of file for the show.  The reels are huge.

After the movie Michael treated us to a snack for the snack bar.  A true gentleman.  He told Mark that he thought he should buy dinner.  And he did.  We got to go to Noodles, one of our favorites.  There we talked about the first time we ate at a Noodles in WI.  Michael loves the WI cheese...because 'you know it is the state of his birth.'

Comments

Popular Posts