Empty Bowls

Leave it to Emmy to be listening to National Public Radio (WNKU 89.7 FM) on the way to work and hear of something really cool for us to do.  She sends me the link and I do the research.  Oh yes.  This one was really, really cool.  The Clay Alliance holds Empty Bowls as a benefit for Kids Cafe which is a non-profit organization whose main purpose is to provide food for children in need at locations in the Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati area.

The architecture on the outside of the building was pretty interesting.  Little did I know what was to come.

If you want to learn more about what is on the poster just click on the pic and it will become large enough for you to read.

I agree 1000%


Mark kept looking for Demi Moore.  LOL


The music was 'delightful' as Michael said.



The inside of the building is INCREDIBLE!  I wish I had taken about a million more shots.  I am going back next year for sure!

Tables were filled with all sizes and colors of bowls for us to choose from.  It was really hard to decide which one was just the perfect one.

I think Michael was the first one to find a keeper.  His has lots of texture around the outside edge.  Mark took a long time in deciding which one would be just right for him.

Emmy and I had hoped for some rally good bread.  And it was good.  


Our soup choices were...roasted tomato basil (my choice), corn chowder, Italian wedding, chicken noodle (Luke's choice), black bean jalapeno chili, tomato bisque (Renee and Nate chose this one) lobster and shrimp bisque, creole gumbo, cashew chicken chili (Mark had it) vertigo beef, steak chili and vegan chili (Emmy and Michael's choice).  We had an equally wide variety of desserts...baklava, Rice Krispie treat, chocolate chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal cookies, a chocolate chip brownie, and some type of apple crumb cake.  Everything was really good!  And did I mention how fun it was?  So much so I am ready to go back again!  Tomorrow!


Luke's bowl is a cat!


Mark has decided that this is his new ice cream bowl....it will probably hold a half of a gallon of ice cream.

Nate is going to give his Mom his bowl because 'it looks like her'.

Emmy's was the most unusual.

I love my bowl!  And it has some history...'scented geraniums are a very special group of plants.  Unlike the well-known garden geraniums, these plants are grown more for their foliage than for their blossoms.  There are well over 200 varieties and cultivars available., and the variations in leaf shape, color, size, texture and scents is amazing.  Scents include rose, mint, spice, pungent, lemom and other fruits.  The scent is contained in the small beads of oil in glands at the base of tiny leaf hairs and is released when the leaf is rubbed.  I (Sandy Manteuffel) grow many different varieties of scented geraniums and love using the leaves to decorate my pottery.  Leaves are individually chosen to complement each piece and are presses into the clay after it is thrown or formed.  The leaves burn away in the first firing and the resulting impression is hand painted.  The pottery is then glazed and fired again.  Each piece is an original and one of a kind.'

From The Earth To You  Sandy Manteuffel  69 Locust Hill Road  Cincinnati OH
EarthPottery@aol.com




Michael's wolf

We have already decide to go back next year with seven more people...enough to fill another table.
Thanks Emmy for hearing about this.  Thanks Ms Renee, Luke and Nate for going.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This looks awesome, so much fun and what a good cause. My mom has volunteered at kids cafe before, very rewarding.
Erika
The Oakes said…
so fun! My favorite bowls are yours and Dads. Dads actually reminds me of his quilt for some reason??

Popular Posts