A New Adventure


I made arrangements with Andy and Lizzy to come out to the farm on a day that they were packing the CSA boxes to see how it all worked. So today was the day! I was so excited that I couldn't sleep last night. I kept checking the clock to make sure that I didn't over sleep or sleep thru the alarm clock.  I made it right at 8:30AM, thinking I would be right in the middle of things.  I thought it seemed late to be starting but I didn't say anything.  Everything was already picked, cleaned and organized...ready to pack into the boxes.  I had visions of being out in the fields picking the tomatoes and corn...washing and drying all the vegetables.

I guess out here you really don't have to worry about the dogs getting out....it is the pigs you need to worry about.  This sow was eating as much corn as she could, as fast as she could.  I told Lizzy about it and she didn't seem to concerned.  She felt like the sow would go home close to supper time. (I checked to see if she was still there on the way back home...no sow...guess she went  wee, wee, wee, all they way back home.

The last time I passed these fields the corn had just been planted.  Now it is taller than I am.

After packing the boxes was finished and while everyone else cleaned up, Andy asked if I would like to take a buggy ride. If you know me, you know that I am never going to turn down anything Amish. So Andy had Levi hitch up this fine, gentle horse (for some reason Andy thought I might be a little skiddish...HA) and off we went, Lizzie, Anna, Dennis and I. Dennis got to sit on my lap. I was in heaven and I wish you could have seen us. Lizzie and Anna covered their light weight hats with a heavier more formal "more proper hat for out in public" and Dennis had on his straw hat. And then there is me with my navy t-shirt, hair in a ponytail and dark hospital scrubs on. I am sure that we were quite a sight to see.

If only you could see the pictures that is in my head. It was a treat for sure. Lizzy and I talked about all types of things. We are getting to be really good friends. There is nothing that we can't discuss...but mostly we talked about the kids and the farm. We rode down to her brothers house (who just happens to be married to Andy's sister.) And we rode past her parents house. She told me that they were building a new school just down the field from their house.  It is exciting.  If I remember right Andy told me that there were only two other schools in their community.  Last week they had church at their house and there were about 150 that came.  I have already invited myself to a school visit.  They are planning for school to start the end of August.  I wanted so badly to gt a picture of the framing but I help myself back.  Maybe I can get a shot when it is all finished.

I almost forgot...new arrivals on the farm...three 'little' pigs.  I told Lizzy that I really didn't want to know what they were going to do with them once they got bigger...because I know!  I tried not to look them in the eye.  And I definitely didn't not name them.  I learned my lesson.  (There are goats to be found now on the farm)


I am already looking forward to my next trip to the farm.  I am hoping that sometime that Andy, Lizzie and the kids can come visit us.

Be sure to check out the Cedarmore Farm CSA blog.





Comments

Popular Posts