The Mighty Ohio River

In the last two weeks I think I heard a reporter report that we had had 6 inches of rain.  Let me just tell you that it is  a lot of rain however much came down.  The great thing is that I haven't had to water any of the flowers and they are coming up like gang busters.  I have been trying to explain to Michael how the floodgates work.  So today we went in search of floodgates.

We went to Eden Park to check out the river from the overlook.  You can see across the river to Newport, KY.  Check out the dozer on the right end of the dirt pile...he is in no man's land.

We also explained what a levee is.  As you can see the boats are way to far from land for anyone to board.

On some parts of Eastern Avenue the water is up in the basements of houses.

The water is up in the parking lot of St. Rose's Church on Eastern Ave.  I thought this was strange.  This is a river guage marking all the floods down thru the years.   Check out 1937.  That was the worst flood ever.  My grandfather was working on railroad bridges in Cincinnati and he walked all the way back to his family...a three hours car ride now...to make sure that they we alright.  If I am not mistaken he wore out three pairs of shoes on the way.  I don't remember how many days it took.

The tall building is where Tini's parents live.  Funny thing...their building is on the river side of the flood wall.  What will they do if they have to put in the floodgates?  I guess Bryce and Tini will be having some houseguests.

Interesting story (click there) about one of Jeff Ruby's restaurants floating down the river last night with 80+ people on it.  They had to be rescue by the Coast Guard...life vests and all.  No one was hurt and all is well, except for a gangplank on the boat.

Comments

Popular Posts