OHIO Pickers

My new favorite show is American Pickers on the History channel. I live my dream picking thru these guys. But the American Pickers had nothing on us today. Early this morning Mark, Michael and I packed in the truck (like sardines)with the reciprocating saw, two hammers, two pair of gloves, a new crowbar, the GPS, and Michael with his DS and headed towards Mason, OH. That was right after a hearty breakfast at Bob Evans (Bob's, as we call it). I had no time to fix a hearty breakfast at 6:30AM....are you kidding me. Let me back up just a bit...Mark got me an outhouse to store gardening stuff in when we lived in WI. I loved my little outhouse. My gardening buddy and I cut a quarter moon shape in the door to make it authentic. It was great...all the neighbors loved it. And anyone driving by or walking by, could see it sitting on the back corner of our lot. I wonder if it is still there? (I am still kicking myself for not bringing it and the hot tub back to OH). So a few weeks ago I put a wanted add in FreeCycle.org asking if anyone had an outhouse. Never dreaming I would get a response. My new friend Gerry, said he had one we could have. We found a real Honey Hole in their backyard. In August my new friend, Gerry, is having a dumpster come and he is going to demolish the old shed...the one that the outhouse was connected to. He let me go in a look...I get the 4 wooden windows and anything else he finds that is old and rusty. This could be the mother load!
We worked for a couple of hours trying to get it apart in one piece. We finally decided that it just wasn't going to happen. So we took the roof off and finally just pushed it over...revealing an outhouse with three sides. Now, that just won't work at all. So Gerry's wife took the seat and I got the door. Fair enough. Then I think Gerry felt bad that we had worked so hard for just a door so he started hunting thing up for us to take home with us...our consolation prizes...an old rusty leaf rake, a tall wooden ladder that was original to the house, and three wooden banisters, also original to the house. Gerry says that the house was built in the late 20's. And don't forget the four old windows.

Note to self...be very specific when posting on FreeCycle.org.

Comments

Popular Posts