A Little Slice


I do believe I might have died and gone to heaven...yesterday, my Dad, sister, nephew, Sarah and Emmy drive to Getaway (No, I am not making it up) to see our little slice of heaven. Let me take you back many, many years to when I was little. I don't remember how old I was but I can see it in my minds eye. There is a lake and a dock for fishing and diving. I remember lots of cattails and flies...now back to yesterday...

My sister and I now have our names on a deed to a plot of land 100X100 on a private fishing lake. My PopPaw and Dad and many other built this lake. Robin has been working on this for months. She has been so excited. She drove us over to the lake and pointed out just where we were going to be spending time clearing land, cooking over the campfire and camping. We have big plans just don't know how fast our money trees can grow.

I remember two places...

The dam when you first drive in.
The road leading down to the fishing/diving platform.
I can't wait until spring...I can literally stand in the middle of the road and fish in the little pond or turn around and fish in the lake. Good thing there are no trees here because I am a beginner fly fisherwoman.
Thereone of the many docks. Dustin is checking the thickness of the ice.
There are canoes and john boats to use. A playground and community building with real live bathrooms. (thank heavens there won't be any squatting in the bushes.)
If we want there is a plot designated for a community garden. Can't quite figure that one out. There is no fence and deer are everywhere. Sounds more like food for the animals type of garden to me. Besides we aren't going to have time for any gardening...we will be too busy fishing and exploring in the woods.
I wonder how many time we will canoe out to that little island? Maybe I can talk them into camping there one night. Now that sounds like a winner to me.
I love this gravel road. Someday our drive way in Asheville with that little log cabin with the goat out by the pond will look like this...a dream I have been dreaming for years.
See the orange stake? Right in front of that skinny brwon tree? The one down next to the raod? That is where we begin. 100 foot square lot.
I can't wait for Bryce and Michael to climb this mountain. These rocks at almost the summit are so massive. And lichens growing all over them. And ferns...jsut wait until I get my bucket and shovel. Did I mention rasberry bushes? Let me just warn you that there will probably be tons of pictures of these rocks in the future.
Oh Look, Sarah made it to the rocks. She informed me that this would be the one and only time that she would be climbing this hill. She is such a baby sometimes. Where is her sense of adventure.?
Emmy and Dustin made it to to the top. They come down the other side bearing gift of rocks from the summit.So there may be days when all you see on the blog will be a sign that says...Gone Fishin.

Comments

The Oakes said…
The raspberry bush will get me there but you can forget the fishing!

Popular Posts