Garden Tour

Disclaimer: I decided that you all would not want to wade thru the 103 pictures I took on the tour. It was awfully hard but I only chose three shots from each garden we visited. And I can tell you that my pictures don't do the gardens justice. They all were stunning. Each different from the other. Each with their own character.



Betsy called to let me know that there was going to be a FREE Garden Tour on Sunday. She thought it would be fun if we went...meaning Betsy and I. We did and so did Mark and Dewey. I wish I could have gotten a shot of us that day...I was way to busy taking shots of flowers and new ideas for our yard/garden. Our first stop was an English Cottage garden. Gavin and his late wife, Jenny, began gardening 50 years ago.We have this same plant but I never knew that it had such a sweet little blossom. I got ours when I went to see Tom and Karen last summer. I got one little sprig from their yard and now I have a pretty good size clump. It is so nice...red, green and white markings around the leaves. I can't wait to see it bloom.I found this little birdhouse tucked back in behind a taller tree on the way out of the yard. I love old birdhouses and clematis are just about my favorite climbing plant.I don't remember if we have ever tried to grow delphiniums or not. These were the most striking blue. Also in this yard was a 35 year old willow oak tree...just like the ones on the grounds of The White House. The back yard was such a quiet place. I could see myself sitting under the trees just listening to all the birds in the woods down by the little creek. But that was not to be...we were off to the most amazing garden of the day.This garden was literally wrapped around the house on the side of a hill...2 1/2 acres to be exact. Every plant you have ever heard of...Mrs. Green
Thumbs had it planted in the most unusual ways. There Japanese painted ferns were unbelievable. She used them as border plants. Never would have thought of doing that.Love this wreath. She had made two of them and had placed them on the doors leading into the house. I noticed them and began looking around. She had used flowers and other plant materials from the yard to decorate them. Nice touch.Did I mention that this lady is 72 years old and that she does all the gardening by herself. I know, I couldn't believe it either. But Emmy verified it. She sees her out almost everyday down on the main road working in the garden surrounded by orange cones so people traveling up and down the road will hopefully slow down and not hit her.When I saw this grinding stone in the front yard bed I just knew that we were in for a treat in this yard. These gardeners used mostly natural materials reclaimed from the woods as features in their garden. Literally the garden went for about an acre down the side of the hill. Paths leading to areas, each with its own personality. All I kept thinking was how on earth did they do this? How many trips up and down the hillside just to put in the paths? There were trees on the ground with the most incredible things growing out of them. A bat house in the top of a 15 foot dead tree 'stump'.Because the garden was on the hillside in the shade, we were curious to see what kinds of plants they had used. Mark was loving it because they used a lot of his favorite plants...ligularia. We have some of this plant in out garden but it isn't quite this good looking. We are hoping that in ten years it will look half this good.If you love purple and if you are a cat person, this next garden is for you. There were 185 cat figurines or some sort of cat art. I have never seen so much purple in one place. The lady giving the tour was all decked out in purple.We aren't cat people at all (Mark is highly allergic to cats) but I must say that I did like some of the things I saw. I am wondering if there is a welding or soddering class that I might be able to take so I could make some of these to hang near all our birdhouses. If you look close enough (click picture to make it bigger) you will see that it is made of forks and spoons. I think I see some of these in our future.It was hard to choose which purple flower to show you but I think this is the one with the most vibrant color. I almost tripped over it as we were leaving. The purple was so vivid!I have to admit I thought when I saw the address for the next house I wasn't expecting much. This area of the Township has nice houses but the lots aren't that big. WOW! Was I ever surprised. This is the most eclectic garden so far...just the kind I like. Every inch of this backyard was something to see. Everywhere you turned there was something different. They have been very creative in their plant placement and with what they have chosen to use. I got some really good ideas here.We tried to come up with a decorative way to hide our compost bin. I liked their idea...and old birdhouse and some dead Harry Lauder walking stick. How about these hose nozzles? They were a nice touch to the bar area made out of old stacked bricks and a 2x8 board. (I've already tried this brick stacking technique but need to make it much larger...pictures coming soon) The brochure said that there were 175 different types of hosta. Tucked into all these hosta were some very unusual plants...like this one. We have some of these Jack-In-The-Pulpits but ours are all green. I love the colors in this one.If I had been ordered to take some R and R...this is the garden where you would find me. Lots of open space with gardens surrounding the boarders of the yard. Lots of mature trees and plenty of sheds and pergolas covered with lush vines. Planters with old gardening tools (another idea I am planning to use). And I can't tell you how many grinding stones. I am sooooo jealous.They were having a plant sale but we opted not to buy...we really couldn't decide what to get and the prices were a little steep for our blood right now. But it was fun to window shop..Remember the grinding stones we saw in another garden? Well, this garden had seven or more. They are so hard to find. They are expensive. And if you do happen to find them (Tater Ridge on Rt 32...Herb has about 300 but refuses to sell me just one) the owners won't part with them. I guess I know how they feel.The last house was located in our old neck of the woods. Bryce and Stu went to high school together. I remember dropping him off at Stu's but never really paid any attention to my surroundings except for the lake at the bottom of the hill. Once we made the trek to the 150 year old farmhouse I fell in love with this 50 year old wisteria that they reclaimed from the tree tops.Love the wagons...we have one and are looking for another. This was a very simple garden compared to the other involved ones that we saw. I could definitely see myself sitting out here somewhere drinking my coffee in the morning and watching the deer graze in the field.And how could I not let you see the farmhouse. I have always dreamed of a farmhouse that we could restore. I just think the history in worth saving. And who knows what kind of treasures we could find. Driving by you would never know that this piece of property is hidden here...it is at the end of a long tree lined drive. You actually feel like you are in the country. We had such a great day that after we dropped Betsy and Dewey off, Mark and I headed for our favorite nursery. We looked and looked, walked and walked, wished and wished, and came home with three small shade plants. I got a few shots of some bright flowers that I am hoping someday will be in our garden.

Comments

Popular Posts