A Short Walk With Luke

Luke had done just about all he could do inside. It was so cold outside and Michael decided that he wanted to stay in where it was warm. So Luke and I went out and walked around the yard to see what we could find...what was cool.The first thing Luke saw was the icicles on the barn. We decided that if the electric went off in the winter we could put the kerosene heater in there and we would stay warm. It would be better than trying to live in the tent in the middle of winter. I love the way the icicles go all around the rim of the light. It really looks nice at night but I haven't figured out how to get a good shot of it quite yet.
I am so looking forward to taking this old green thing off the wall and filling it with manure and sweating clean thru to...well maybe we shouldn't go there. I guess that I'm just looking forward to spring...wherever it may be.
All the bushes and trees are coated in several inches of ice. Then on top of that is a few inches of snow. All the limbs on the small trees and bushes in the yard are almost touching the ground. They are beautiful but I worry we might lose a few limbs. But the old oak looks as strong as ever.

I just love these bottles...I don't care if it is in the summer, winter, spring or fall. They just are the coolest things. Then today Luke noticed them before I did. Some have frozen something in them but they all have a coating on the outside. Then those little icicles hanging down. There were deer prints all around this tree, too. That was pretty cool. We tried to get a good picture but nothing but white showed up.

These poor flower beds. They look so dead and so very cold. I can't wait to see if the cone flowers and the daisy's come back up this year. Oh, and the zinnias.

These are just the four clothes lines that are waiting for clean clothes in the summer. All the power lines look like this or worse.

We found a great little hiding place for a little animal. They could go under there and keep warm at night. But no tracks were found there. Maybe we should make a little stash of food in there.

This poor old swing. Nobody has been out to play around here for a couple of months. Look how deep the snow is piled up on it.

A yellow tailed flicker showed up on the oak tree today. I wish I could have gotten a shot with his bright red head feathers. Maybe he will be back tomorrow and I can try again. I guess there are more things in the yard in the winter than you realize. Just need to take a seven year old around with you to be able to look at things from a different angle. Thanks Luke.

Comments

Popular Posts