Life At The Cabin

I promise that this is the last post about our trip. There are just so many pictures to see and so many stories to tell. I don't want you to miss a moment of our fun! The last trip there was only one old cat. When we drove up cats started coming from everywhere. There were three of the cutest little kittens you have ever seen. And two older cats, one of which I have never seen. Michael fed them chips the first night because they were so hungry. One mistook his finger for a chip. Talk about traumatic! But by the end of the trip he had forgiven them. Sunday morning the cats feasted on grilled chicken and left over milk and cereal. And all was right in the world.We decided that since it was so late we would forgo the campfire and cook the hot dogs in the fireplace. Those are new long hot dog cookers we found at Lehmann's. Mark saw them the last trip so we had to have them this trip. Best hot dogs Michael has ever eaten! Saturday night we wanted to go to the butcher shop for some steaks but they were closed by the time we got there. But we had some awesome seasoned pork chops that we found at Troyers...my all time favorite grocery/bulk food store in all of OH. I could just go there and fed myself on all the samples...everything is better than good! Peep was chief fire maker...since his bed was in the same room. The wood pile took a big hit last weekend. We had one rip roaring fire all the time we were there. Nothing better than warming your feet and tired old back at the fire. Peep liked sitting on the long bench in front of the fireplace...just sit and stare into the fire. Michael was all over walking on the trails. What he didn't realize was that they all ran into together and made a big unending circle. I couldn't keep up with him. And the imagination...he swears that he saw a fox. I didn't see that but I did see two white tailed deer. They were bedded down along the path. We spooked them and they startled us. We did find three turkey feathers. Michael wanted to share one with the two boys that played baseball with him Friday night (Doug and Jen have two boys, one the same age as Michael and an older son). Someone had already started a turkey feather collection so Michael added one to the collection and we have the other two at home...one in my room and one in his...'so we can remember'. We played lots of board games... UNO, dominoes and this silly bird puzzle thing that we could never figure out. Maybe next trip we will figure it out. Seriously, it was enough to drive you nuts...I know...don't have far to go. I know this is supposed to be things around the cabin but I just want to share these last three pictures and the stories that go along with them. Remember me telling you about the greatest grocery store on the planet...Mark thought that we should try pickled okra. Our backdoor neighbor grows it and then pickles it. This year was not a bumper crop so he wasn't able to share any. When okra grows it gets a bloom that looks like a Rose of Sharon. Really pretty. Anyway, we had okra. It was good. I would eat it again...kinda have to we brought the jar home and it is in the fridge. When I came out of the quilt shop, I found Mark and Michael in the car and Peep talking to William. William gives rides in his buggy everyday. He had a farming accident and lost his hand. My Dad could probably give you the entire story. I thought I knew pretty much about the Amish but seems my Dad was able to pick William's brain. He got lots of his questions answered. One I found interesting was that the boys got to the 8th grade. After that they work on the family farm. They can further their education if they want. In the evening they can return to school and work until they get their high school diploma. Then they usually go to Wooster College which isn't very far. They can choose a profession. Most get their college degrees and then return back to their hometowns to work. Williamis such a nice man. Usually the Amish don't like having their pictures taken. Somehow my Dad was able to get William to have a picture taken with him. I could just camp out in a quilt shop...especially if there are Amish women quilting. I think I stood for 10 minutes just watching Ella Y. quilt before I had a chance to ask her a few questions. She taught me home to hand stitch stitch-in-the-ditch without knotting the tread at the beginning or at the end. I am amazed! The quilt she was working on was huge...king size I am sure. I asked her if I could take a pictures of just her hands. She was gracious enough to say yes.

I think I could live in an Amish Community. I would just have to find something very unusual to make and sell. A simpler life would be great for all of us to try. A bed and breakfast, a quilt shop, a restaurant....anyone have any ideas for me?

Comments

Popular Posts