Monday Morning

Thank heavens for cell phones and eNotify in our school system. Since we were without electricity and no way of knowing how many others were in the dark...we were notified by a text from the school system that due to the huge power outage, we would not be having school. We were notified late Sunday night which make Monday morning fun. Mark was off and I was up with the chickens and the Duke energy crews starting a fire to cook breakfast. We had decided after last night meal that our grill was way to dangerous to use anymore. Pulled her down to the curb and with in 3o minutes someone (someone near and dear to my heart... a garbage picker) had taken it for the scrap. Breakfast would be my first of many challenges. With one cooler filled with everything from the fridge, I decided to make scrambled eggs and biscuits in the campfire. Michael though that we were living like the Amish. He help with breakfast. The neighbors were all out and must have smelled the eggs cooking because I had a full table for breakfast. Which was fine with me.I kept the fire hot and Emmy stirred the eggs. We kept the biscuits on longer to get them done (I needed a dutch oven to do a really good job with them...maybe that will be on my Christmas list this year.) I think I surprised myself with how it turned out. There was nothing left. But the funniest part of the entire breakfast.....the boys and all their pirate talk over breakfast. They were all in character and toasting with their Rum...how do they know pirates drank rum? Just to put your minds at ease...it was the last of the apple juice. We sent Mark out for some ice, batteries and a radio. What does he come back with but a new gas grill. I was a little upset...no crank radio. But I must confess, the gas grill saved the day...many a day. Now I could cook everything I could cook inside if we had had electric. Emmy helped him put it together and they came up with only two extra screws. And it is nice...and better yet it was on sale. Now when we go to light it we won't be afraid that we will blow up. First order of business...repair the front sail on the pirate ship. Michael seemed to have taken care of that all by himself. I'm not to sure how long it will hold but I think he did a great job.Mr. John and Renee were busy cleaning up their yard as all the rest of us were. John kept telling me that all the leaves and twigs had a big E on them. But our yard seemed to be filled with stuff with John's name written all over it. Can't seem to figure that one out. We would yell over the fence and down the yards to other neighbors. I thought were living back in the day...when families played together and did things out in their yard. All the backyards that we can see from our patio...all were filled with families preparing or eating dinner. Mazzie was even practicing her clarinet. (I think that is what she plays) And again it was time to eat. Seems like that is what we did, cook, eat, clean up work, cook, eat.....all until it got dark then you showered and went to bed. Dark now is around 8PM. We ran out of candles and had only one flashlight that worked. Ever try taking a shower in the dark? What do you do with your buddies when there is no electricity...you put on a show...Rock Stars

And then after all the fun of the day, Michael and I trudged across our backyard and Victor's back yard to hook up to the only electric we could find (an outlet on the outside of Victor's house, right at the driveway...and take a breathing treatment.He was a real trooper. I was going to take him to UDF and sit in the eating area but everyone told me that is nebulizer would make too much noise. I couldn't think of anywehre better. Breathing treatment and swapping miaquitoes...great fun!

There is still more to come...

Comments

Popular Posts