Our Amish Experience

We drove all the back roads, checked out all the bulk food grocery stores....We stopped at several flea markets and two Livestock Auctions...There was a big sign on the outside of the barn telling me that I could not bring my camera into the building. I wish I could have. It was so fun! Mark and I were among the 6 "English" people in attendance. There were Amish families...little kids everywhere. It was a hog auction. They were auctioning pigs for anywhere from $15-20 per 100 pound. Some of the pigs weighed in at 500 pounds. It was crazy! On our last day we drove to Kidron to go to a flea market and another auction. I found a bench and just watched all the people. These boys brought in one of their cows. They had everything in this one. We never made it in because we were trying to find old tools at the flea market. This pick-up moved really slow toward the place where you unload the animals. This poor little calf. I just felt so bad for him. I hope he went to a good family. I loved watching the families...especially the kids. They are the most quiet, polite children I have ever seen. Once I got a smile from one little girl as she was coming out of the grocery store carrying her little brother. I felt bad wanting to take pictures of the Amish. Kinda felt like I was intruding. So I tried to be sneaky and take them when I didn't think they were looking.I just felt so bad for this big cow. I just felt like today wasn't going to be a good day for him...going to the auction and all.
We drove thousands of miles on most of the back roads...that heavens there is a thing called a GPS...but I must admit that Mark was doing a great job remembering where to go. I am just going to add 'back road adventures' here in picture form, no written words.


















There were so many things in and around the cabin...again only pictures. And I guess if you want more information about a picture or something that you can't figure out what it is...just leave a comment and I will answer it.












Mark had made arrangements with Doug so we could have dinner with an Amish Family. It is a very small world...we know one Amish family...what are the chances that this would be the family we would have dinner with? Once Doug gave us the card with the address...I knew that they were 'our' Amish. I had my camera but once again I felt a little funny taking pictures. The farm is140 acres. Roman and Ada have 9 children and 45 grandchildren. ..which live in a 20 mile radius of the house.We all ate until we just couldn't eat not one single crumb more. We had homemade coleslaw, homemade bread and butter. We had, fried chicken, mashed potatoes with brown butter, a vegetable dish with every vegetable that comes out of the garden with chunks of ham, some of the best applesauce you have ever eaten, pickled beets and ice cold water. Then for dessert we had the three p's...peanut butter pie, peach pie and peach pineapple pie. Once we were finished with dinner we went down to the front porch and to the front yard to swing in the big swing. It was really great to see the Schlabach's again. Come to find out that a group from Pea Ridge will be going down for dinner in a few weeks because there is a huge auction that will benefit the area schools. Small world. Wish we could go back...I am sure it would be worth the cost of gas to get there.
Just so happened that Peep, Bryce and Dustin were heading back from their Canada fishing trip. We decided to meet up with them in Dover, OH at the Warther's Museum

The three fishing buddies have been there together for the last three years. Each year the check out the knives and usually buy some. This year while we were on the tour, Peep had his knives sharpened. They do it for free. My Dad paid for us to go on the tour...but the three Stooges got in free because they can almost give the tour. It was really amazing that a man with a second grade education could carve the things that he did. If you are ever in the Dover area I suggest you take the time and check out the Master Carver.

I think that Michael was just a little excited to have us back home. Emmy said that he had been planning the "celebration party' all day long. We had to do all the things on the paper and then a few more before we could do anything at all. We had a race, a baseball game, played tag....I think Mark may have come in first by the looks of Emmy.
So now we are back to real life in the real world. Counting the days until we get to go back. Wish you all could go with us. It was the best extended weekend that I have ever had...in my whole life, I think.

Comments

Anonymous said…
dad is nothing but a CHEATER!!!! There are no sprinklers in tag!!!!
The Oakes said…
is she surprised that he cheated...i would be if he hadn't!
leigh ann said…
i love love love the pic with all those sweet little amish babies in their flip flops and crocs...and HOW COOL that you got to be with the schlabachs!! i am always so humbled to be around them.

and i'm with your girls. bubba doesn't play by the rules. but that's part of his charm, right?
MoeyMichele said…
Wammy -- my sister is visiting from Australia and I would love to take her to Schlabach's next week -- do you know of any way we can contact them more quickly? Thanks! (we also need to find a place to stay with our little babies! :-) )

Popular Posts