Base Camp

Today is our first official day without Mommy. We are right on schedule, thank you very much.

Since the weather is not being very cooperative, I have set up Base Camp in the basement.

I have my little section set up...computer, cell phone, house phone, laundry folding table. And a boat load of art project stuff, treasures fished out of the washing machine, and snacks...the most important thing to have when there are two very active boys..and twenty stairs to the kitchen...these old knees are feeling the pain. The kids have the trains out and tracks going everywhere. Alaire has her toys in front of the couch and within eye shot of my over the top of the laptop. Life is good.

We can't play outside today, the weather isn't cooperating at all...thunderstorms, humidity, bright sun, humidity, rain, humidity, sunshine, humidity, thunderstorms...and then the lights went out!

I am just about ready to put dinner in the oven (5PM) when I hear a big crack of thunder and then sirens. I said to Mark that I thought it sounded like they were really close. After waiting for some time...seemed like forever...oh and just so you know..."when the lights are out you play board games by the sliding glass door...war, dominoes, and stinky feet" (Mark won hands down) we decided that we had better go get some dinner. Nothing in Milford was open because of the downed power lines (which we saw when we drove out the front...huge tree on the lines and no Duke Energy people around fixing it). We knew then we were in for a long dark night. Sure is a good thing that we bought that Thomas The Tank Engine flashlight at the rummage sale yesterday. Ellis slept with it. Michael had Bryce's huge MagLight and I had my trusty little Cars flashlight. The lights didn't come on until 2:30AM. Then we had to creep into all the rooms and shut the windows because the air came back on, along with all the lights in the house. Just making some more memories!

Today's weather doesn't sound much better. That's okay, I've got reinforcements today...Mark and Sarah are both off today. And I bet Auntie Em will be over later.

Comments

Kathy said…
we have those exact blue tomy train tracks

Popular Posts