Only My Sweet, Sweet Husband

Mark went in late to work on Thursday. He had a few errands to do on his 'honey-do list' and then I get a call at preschool. "I got you something special today, something I know that you are really going to like." I try to get him to give me a few hints but oh no, "you'll just have to wait until you get home. You can't miss it." All morning I am wondering what it could...chocolates, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake...When I leave preschool I am usually hurrying to get to the bus stop before the bus does. Today the Interstate Gods were with me...I got home with time to spare. I drove by the house and was going to run in to see what my little treat was....5 yards of mulch. I was thrilled...really! It is spring and the beds need some new mulch. The boys were thrilled too...a mountain to climb on, to dig in and to help with. They worked so hard!
So now that most of the beds have a new fresh look...more pictures...

We have more varieties of daffodils than I can count. They are everywhere you look. These pictures were taken last week...this week they are all ugly and brown...working hard to save the energy to the bulbs for next spring.I had forgotten all about the Japanese painted ferns. The are so pretty with their color The edges do look like they have been painted with a really small paintbrush and a very steady hand.The azalea brush, as scraggly as it is, finally bloomed. The blooms are few and far between but there still is color back there.Not sure what this tree is but it is right outside the preschool entrance. I'm wishing we had one in the backyard. And they smell wonderful.These red coral bells are coming up nicely. I was worried...the edges of the leaves were all brown and turned up. I think the got too cold one night.I was over at Ms Renee's last night and noticed blooms on a tree I had never noticed. Then last night while I was sitting here working on the computer, I looked out the window and low and behold..we have the same tree. Gotta find out what the name of it is.This little plant I love and dislike strongly. It is vinca vine. We have a ton on it. It makes great ground cover in places where you want ground cover. Then it comes up in places that you don't want it. The flowers are the prettiest shade of purple. I think the corn planter in the background gives it such the homey farm touch, don't you?I think I finally know what this one is. When it was coming up it was just a straight green shoot that popped up about 5 inches one night while we were sleeping. I think it is a Solomon's Seal from Betsy's yard. They other that is planted near is variegated. There should be flowers by the end of the week if all goes well.These yellow coral bells look great in the dark mulch alongside the red coral bells. That bed is starting to fill in quite nicely. But we do need just a few more different kinds of ground cover with some color. Renee said that I could get as much phlox as I wanted. She could come to regret that she ever said that. The color that she had looks so bright and happy in the yard. Did I just say happy? What a goof!We have about four of these miniature daffodils. And I have no idea where in the world they came from. There are only a few. They were a nice surprise.
And not to be outdone by all the colorful flowers...the baby robins and finches hatched sometime this week.

So another episode of Walking Around The Yard has come to an end. Hope you enjoyed our little show and hope that you will come back to join us on the next blog entry. Gotta go see if there is anything else I can take a picture of....

Comments

Miss Yvonne said…
Oh those days when we shoveld yards and yards of mulch. MArk would come home with truck loads of suprises. I wish I was there right along side you with wheel barrow and shovel. Hey, when you're done with yours, want to zip up here to Wisconsin and help me with mine. You did that a fair few times too! Your garden is looking great! Mine is just starting to pop up and nothing in bloom yet.

Popular Posts