Bobby

The other day I was looking at other blogs and ran across this story. I thought it was the most wonderful way to celebrates someone's life. I had to share.

"Bobby
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Once in a while something happens in the classroom that makes me remember why I wanted to become a teacher in the first place. It happens more often than “once in a while,” actually — and today was one of those times.
A student who would have been a member of this year’s graduating class passed away due to a congenital heart problem a few years ago. It was a horrible thing — probably my first taste of losing a student, even though he wasn’t actually in my class. You couldn’t help but love this kid. The entire school is like a family, and to lose a student– especially one as well-loved as this kid — is like losing a member of a family.
Thursday, in his honor, the school is having a “Wear Red for Bobby” day. Students pay for the privilege of getting to wear jeans and a red shirt (it’s always a big deal to dress down when you have to wear a uniform every day) and the money will be donated to the American Heart Society in his honor. His parents will be coming to school to meet with Bobby’s classmates, and we will be giving them this portrait of him.
The making of this portrait was the thing that really brought me chills. I was asked to make something special to present to the parents, and I think the idea was a big card or something. But we do that for everything. So I decided to change a favorite lesson plan around and make something they will enjoy a lot longer than a card or a big sign. I cut his photo into a lot of little 1″ squares (numbered), and then cut out 3″ squares of drawing paper. Students copied the abstract lines and shades of grey onto the big squares, and we pieced them together to make the big portrait.
While working on the image, the kids didn’t have anything to reference what they were drawing except the square they had to copy. Each student has a different style, so the squares look different, but because they were copying exactly, the pieces fit together (for the most part.) It was so cool watching their friend’s face emerge from the puzzle pieces, and watching their reaction as it started to come together. They really got into this project, and if a piece was deemed “not good enough for Bobby” they would rush to fix it and then put it into place.
I have never seen students take a project so seriously. I think it was a really theraputic project for many of them. And I love the finished result! It really looks like him, and each student got a chance to contribute to it. Tomorrow they will each sign their name somewhere on the portrait, and then I will get it ready for framing, if that’s what the parents want.
I hope they like it. It’s sort of disjointed and funky, but that’s because each student’s own perception and drawing style influences each square a little bit. I will probably give them something written that explains the process, just in case they think it’s just a wonky drawing. :) Somehow, I don’t think they will. His personality really shows through in this picture, because the kids knew him so well. And their love for him comes through loud and strong, too."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awwww, thanks!

His parents ended up not being able to come to the school because they're both sick with this upper-respiratory crud that is knocking the entire region on its behind right now. (I've got it, too! Bleh! Hurry up, spring!!!) But the principal is going to personally deliver it to them, but let them know that if they're not ready for it, I'll keep it safe in the art room. (Portraits can be tough after a loss, and this one's kind of ... HUGE!)

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad it touched a chord with you. That's what art is all about -- making people feel something. :)
I read that post too and just loved it. I had to share it with Greg and we were both teary eyed over the story behind the face. Loved it.
Teresa

Popular Posts