On the Road... yet again!

We packed as much in last weekend as we possibly could. You will be pooped when you finish this reading of the blog. We had planned to leave on the big road trip around 9 AM after everyone had breakfast and Alaire was sleep. But good plans never last around here. Cassie, Michael and Ellis woke me up screaming that there was a bird or bat, which Cassie just knew was rabid, in the kitchen and I needed to go down and get it out. I never knew Cassie was such a big chicken. I was on my way down the stairs, with towel in hand, when I found Emmy pecking on the front window. Cassie informed her of the rabid animal that was attacking anything that walked. Immediately Emmy hit the floor.At this point, Ellis is crying, Michael is trying to catch the dog, the dog is going crazy...and you ask, where is Sarah? In bed snug as a bug in a rug...claiming that she didn't hear us. The mighty great hunter that I am, and having animal recovery experience...I headed to the kitchen with a towel and opened the front door, knowing that as soon as that bird saw the light of day he would be high tailing it out of Dodge. Sure enough a couple of times around the kitchen and out he went. Michael informs us that he isn't going to eat Poopy Eggo's...he thought since the bird was on the ceiling fan above the table...he surely pooped. No poppy Eggo's for him. And you can hear Ellis echoing everything Micheal says. Then what does Auntie Em do to just kick things up a notch...the boys finished off their breakfast the some chocolate. Are you feeling my pain yet? So now that we have everyone keyed up to about 500...we loaded all seven of us and all our stuff...and let me tell you we have the stuff...we are off...only about 30 minutes behind schedule.I told Emmy that she should probably claim her seat before anyone figured out how tight the riding accommodations were going to be. She said that it really wouldn't be a problem...that lasted about 5 minutes. I have never seem it so foggy on "the short cut". Check out the pictures to the side. I love looking at all the barns and farms along the way. WE noticed one farm with tons of pickups parked around the barns. All the barn doors were open and I wanted so bad to stop to see what was going on. As we passed I saw something I have never seen before..hogs that had been slaughtered and a bunch on men and boys doing what ever they have to do to slaughtered hogs. I wanted to bad to park and get out and talk to the buys but the family vetoed that even before I could open my mouth to ask. But they did agree, half-heartily, to let me turn around and take a few pictures...but I had to promised that I would not get out of the van.I believe that Emily Ann has started a new tradition...Bridge crossing chocolate eating. Michael, of course, was in charge of looking for the bridges, which he knows there are three and exactly where they are...and just where we can begin to eat our chocolate.As you can see, he loves his job! Cassie was driving me crazy wanting to stop to eat before we got to Huntington. No, I kept telling her that Mamaw and Papaw would have something for us to eat...we didn't have time to stop...anything I could think of to put her off because I had made arrangements with Papaw to have some Jim's Spaghetti, her all time favorite, for lunch.We almost had it timed perfectly. Mamaw helped keep the surprise saying that Papaw had gone to the store because he had forgotten something on his grocery list. I think she was surprised! Then it was time for Alaire to meet her great grandparents...and for Ellis to get some lovin' too. Since all the grand kids and great grand kids were all in one place and it had been close to ten years since a picture of the entire bunch has been taken. So off we go to Wal-Mart for an early morning picture. All went well and everyone smiled. To celebrate our accomplishment we went to lunch at Outback. Robin was trying so hard to get Ellis to play. Finally she and Dustin found the key...chocolate...who would have thought that chocolate would win over his heart. After lunch we had to rest up for the next family picture. Those will be added tot he blog when ever they come in. It was pretty amazing..only 10 shots were taken and in one everyone is actually smiling and looking at the camera. We made our way back to Mamaw's to pack up and rest. But instead we got to spent the afternoon with Sarah Beth...which was great!!! You do need to go to www.LoveYourGuts.com and read her continuing story. But before we could leave we had to have one last performance. So here it is...

Comments

Miss Yvonne said…
Hey Jan, how do you turn off the background sound to hear the singing? I heard some but it was stopping nad starting a lot and competing with the background music.
Ya'll sure had an interesting trip it sounds like.

Popular Posts