Thanksgiving....And a little more

Thanksgiving preparations began on Tuesday with coming up with a plan. Michael and I talked about what we were going to have for dinner. Seems everyone has one favorite so that is what we have. Some years ago, we began a tradition of having steak instead of having turkey. That pleases most of the family but I miss the turkey left overs so in a few days I will go get a turkey breast and have my fill. With grocery list in hand Mark and I make a run to Kroger. Fastest trip I have ever made...we had every thing is categories according to place in the store...you know, fruit, veggies, dairy. And you all will be so proud to know that I am beginning to know my way around in the store. You see, ever since Cassie and Emmy were born, Mark has done the shopping. Now that it is my job to make sure the preschool has snacks...I go to the store. It is still not my favorite place to go but I can and do it some now. Back to dinner...we had dinner at 1PM because Bryce and Tini went to Tini's parents at 5PM. Here's the line-up...Mark, Jan, Sarah, Michael, and Ella. Then Emmy comes in with Norman and Lewis (dogs she is watching for the weekend). Then Bryce and Tini bring Seau and Tobi and Bryce's laundry. But they did bring food...three pies and a plate of chocolate chip cookies. Sarah set the table which included making place cards and Michael provided the centerpieces. We only had two near catastrophes...the green bean casserole (Emmy's favorite and only request) was almost burnt and the microwave decided to die. Had to melt and warm things up the old school way. After dinner it was time for playing with the dogs and TV. I tried really hard to get them to help put up the Christmas tree...but no luck this year.

Friday morning Mark had to be up and out by 3AM to get ready for Black Friday! Love this time of year! Lisa and Terry called last week and wondered if we would like to come in a play merry maid fairies for Keith and Katherine. Of course! We packed up buckets, cleaning supplies and the vacuum cleaner and headed for WV early Friday morning. Somewhere on Portsmouth Road, we ran into snow. It was so pretty. Sarah was trying to take pictures as we were driving down the part that we call the "roller coaster". It was way more pretty than this. I think there was something wrong with the camera setting. I love the snow and I was hoping that we would be able to at least make some snow angels when we got home...but no luck there. Guess I will have to go back to CO to make some..Cassie gives me a snow report every day...3 inches at this post.

We were almost a total surprise but Terry called to give Mamaw and Papaw a heads up that we were on our way. Papaw wasn't too keen on the whole thing, but I told him he would have to take it up with the landlord. So we began...Lisa started in the kitchen, Sarah in the "cold room", Katlyn inthe front room. You must understand that she took her life in her own hands...those are the Bunnykins that have been collected for oh about 40 years or so.....very special to all of us!
I had the bathroom. Tyler was in charge of Michael and Trevor outside. They were blowing and raking leaves. And I think I saw Papaw cutting the grass. After work, Terry came and gave it all the white glove test. He congratulated us on a good job by treating us to pizza from Gino's...YEA!Then the fun began. I have never seem the Michael and Trevor so excited! That tree was up in record time. And it looks great...like the grand kids put it up. But Mamaw loves it. She enjoys sitting in her chair and looking at the decorations and going down memory lane with each of them. We decided to go to Peep's to spend some time with him and Stitch. Michael and I camped out in the living room while Sarah crashed in my old room. Peep loaded Michael up with new colored pencils and some chalk pencils for him to use when he is drawing some of his famous drawings. We got up this morning with plans to visit with Sarah Beth before coming home but she was running a fever and still in bed and had plans to spend time with the Black's so we said we would be back soon and visit. We went by Terry's to drop off the leaf blower...seems he likes our backpack blower pretty well. And he has a huge hillside of leaves to move. He and Lisa were going to double team them with two blowers.

So we are headed to the Interstate...but first a trip to Baskin-Robbins...it is like Leigh Ann and Starbucks...can't pass one without going in and purchasing something. I had planned on trying something new...a new holiday flavor..but in the end peanut butter chocolate triumphed. The nearest one to us is 45 minutes away and in another state. Not to many trips there.

Mark got home a few minutes after we did. We showed him all out treasures from Papaw and then he was off to sleep for a little while. A little while because Michael wanted to put our tree up. We told him that we were only going to get it out of the box and put the limbs on and that tomorrow we would decorate the rest. He was okay with that because we had already put up the village that we inherited from Mamaw and Papaw. So I am about ready to crash and Michael is still going strong. I have been sitting here think about all that I am thankful for..family is definitely number one!

Comments

leigh ann said…
i rated a mention in jan's blog! yay me!!! even though it was regarding my addiction....oh well. i'll take what i can get!
Kendra White said…
http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/holiday_cards_ms/
here are the cards from family fun. Hope you enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!
leigh ann said…
oh, and p.s....i wish we had steak for thanksgiving. i'm tired of turkeys.
The Oakes said…
wow that was a long one....the table looks nice

Popular Posts