Quilts for the Day

It is amazing what you can do with little bit of free time. The weather wasn't cooperating with outdoor fun today so...after I dropped some books off at the library I was in search of a quilt shop that I had read about in my Quilter's Companion Book. I discovered that the shop is about 10 miles from our front door...in WI, we had a 45 minute drive to our very favorite quilt shop. I browsed the store and got some ideas for future quilts...and we will be making a trip there in our next day off....I caught the bug to get some things done so I can home and went right to the basement and the sewing machine. I was able to finish two quilts and start on another one. These are preemie size quilts. I found a web site...http://www.quiltsforkids.org/ There I found out that these people have saved millions of pounds of discontinued fabrics from ending up in our landfills. Their second goal is to provide children with comfort during a long illness or a time of distress in their lives. Making quilts for premature babies (I was born at a little under three pounds) is what I want to do. They are small, take the least amount of fabric and time...and best it that I am able to quilt them on the big machine without much trouble. So I have whipped up three to send on...or maybe even start a chapter for the Cincinnati area. There are other chapters located in other parts of our state. Who knows where this will lead. Here are the three preemie quilts I finisihed today.This is the from of one made with chenille. I even made an X quilt pattern all the way around the outside border and a larger X in the center. You can see the X's better on the back. This is a very special backing. When Sarah Beth first started her chemo, I made her a soft quilt with this minke on the back. It is so soft and soothing. I am sure there will be some sensations for the little ones on this quilt.This is a small bar quilt. I had this fabric from a baby quilt that I had made for one of Cassie's friends years ago. The great thing about this was that it was already cut into 4 inch strips. A couple of straight seams and a quilt was born. I was able to finish this one before lunch while watching HGTV.The last of the quilts today is made from scraps that I had from the quilt I had made for Josiah when he was adopted from South Korea. The quilting is different on this one. I used a ruler and put lines on the quilt. After quilting that way I did it the opposite way. So it looks like little diamonds. And lastly...this one is really small. I was able to use the last of my chenille. And to be different this one is quilted in squares. The back is little bears with shorts on doing all kinds of poses. I think they all turned out really well. I can't wait to give them away.

KANSAS UPDATE: Field trip to the zoo today. Michael's favorite animal was the elephant without the tusks. And Ellis is practicing for a career in catching birds. You will have to check Cassie's blog for all the minute to minute details.

Comments

Popular Posts