Odds and Ends

This week has been weather wild...Monday morning we woke up to snowflakes. Then around noon the weather was beautiful. To prove that Ohio has crazy weather just as Wisconsin does...here are our daffodils that were planted in the fall. As you can see they have pushed thru and are up about 4 inches. It is crazy. And we already have green grass. The last six years we haven't seen green grass until April...and then it was under 3-4 inches of water. This week is a crazy week at Preschool also. Monday was Inside-Out Day. I forgot and made a run to Kroger after school with Michael. Half way thru the store a woman stopped me and asked me is I knew my son's clothes were on inside-out. We laughed and said that she should come to school all this week...we have fun teachers! Tues was Backwards Day. Michael insisted on wearing his engineers pants and hat. He loved it. I never dreamed it would be so easy because as you know he has set ways of doing things. Wednesday was Opposites Day. Michael thought and thought and came up with one short white sock and one long black sock. He also decided to wear one crock (one you don't tie) and a tennis shoe (one you do tie). When we walked into the class his teachers began studying his outfit. I gave them a hint of three. Thursday was PJ Day...Lightening McQueen never looked so good. And of course
Sarah had a tough day today...one Spanish final and she was home by 9:15AM. Then Mark, Sarah and I went on a 30 minute walk in Mom's Boot Camp. Mark and I walked around the neighborhood checking out houses and landscaping, getting ideas for the spring while Sarah opted to go back home a watch TV. But the fun soon ended, bathrooms to clean. Then for fun we all got to go to Hobby Lobby to find a frame for the picture you see of Sarah and Michael. We finally found out what was wrong with our phone and computers. We also were told that the phone in the kitchen isn't hooked up to anything. Soooo, the crafty person I am...I put the picture that you see here of Sarah and Michael in a frame...bent and old spoon to turn in into a picture hanger...hot glue gunned some black ribbon to the back of the frame...and hung the whole thing over the ugly plate that won't come off the wall where you plug in the phone. Martha Stewart doesn't have anything on me! Actually I saw it on HGTV yesterday. Mark and I have decided that the picture of Michael and Sarah doesn't quite look right. I put the picture in a black frame and added a black ribbon for hanging. Sorta looks like one of those "dead" pictures that people used to hang draped on the wall when a loved one passed. I think I will try to crackle it with some white paint. I'll let you know what the finished product looks like. It was such a pretty day yesterday Mark and I worked out in the yard a little bit...actually we cleaned up the bird feeders and filled them with fresh seed. We even got to go to Wild Birds Unlimited and got a few new feeders to replace ones that were old and broken. This morning I have been sitting at the desk looking out the window watching the feeders. Notice I didn't say bird feeders. So far a family of squirrels have taken over. Here is a picture to prove it. If you look close enough you will see a squirrel eating from every feeder. At one point three squirrels and one large woodpecker were having an afternoon meal.Just today I have seen a family of four squirrels, a blue jay and his mate, a bright red cardinal, a few black-capped chickadees, several downy woodpeckers, and one big old brown woodpecker that I haven't figured out his name yet...a red-bellied woodpecker, a really perky Carolina wren, a red-breasted nuthatch, and of course your everyday robin. We even got the squirrels their own corn on the cob feeder on a bungee. It even has a bell that rings to let you know that they are on the feeder. But so far no takers. Michael is on the look out for our first customer.Mark and I have done an exhaustive bird search and decided that the big woodpecker is a Northern Flicker. Here is a picture...When this bird flies there is a large white rump patch that is very distinctive. We also found out that this is the only woodpecker that regularly eats off the ground. Well, I'm off to the bird watching post in the bedroom...can't wait to see who comes for dinner today. (You laugh, you to someday will be old and be able to stop and smell the roses...well at least while Michael and Sarah are in school.) Not too much else going on. The rain has put a damper on anything that we had wanted to do outside. I'm sitting here watching the squirrels swim from the oak tree to the bird feeders to have breakfast. Still no takers on the cool squirrel feeder. Michael and I even turned some of the corn kernels off the cob and put them on the ground to give the squirrels a heads up. Guess the squirrels in Ohio aren't too smart.
Emmy and Sarah enjoyed a day at the spa...actually Emmy took Sarah to the place where she gets her hair cut. Emmy's friend gave Sarah the princess treatment, facial, neck massage and a great haircut. She is so excited about it..so she had to be on the blog. Cassie, this picture is for you.(Emmy says that Cassie called two or three times while they were in the middle of getting beautified). As you can see, Sarah now has multiple layers and "bangs". Hot Stuff!

Comments

The Oakes said…
I can't wait to hear what Emmy has to say about the lives of the birds and squirrels in the neighborhood. Maybe you could start a whole blog for them. Tell Sarah that I love the new hair, and tell Em to get me an appointment the next time I'm there. As for Michael, I was impressed with the amount of pride you can see in his face.....nice picture, definately a keeper, in fact maybe you should try that one in the kitchen. That is funny that you hung that there. We just hung my Romania plate Amber got me over our ugly plate.
Jan AKA Wammy said…
Just so you know...the picture of Sarah and Michael is now on the mantle. Dad and I hung an old feed sack that Papaw gave me a long time ago....it has Huntington, WV printed on it.
The Oakes said…
let me guess.....a dead lady.....hehehe

Popular Posts