The Gorge Trail At Fort Hill

We took Emmy and Michael with us this time.  Perfect Day.  Funny thing...park filled with lots of hikers.  But they all went the opposite way.  We chose to hike the Gorge Trail..."This is definitely the most scenic of all the trails at Fort Hill.  The path leads by the cliff-lines and boulder strewn course of the Baker Fork, three stone arches, and a reconstructed pioneer log cabin.  the wildflowers in the spring are outstanding."

Almost at the beginning of the trail a we were going in two hikers with packs were coming out.  They asked if there was a water supply.  On Friday they had hiked 16 miles and so far today they had done 6 miles.  They were hiking the state wide Buckeye Trail.






Headed down to the gorge.



I must have been hungry because I though these looked like new potatoes.


 The first of the three arches.









The second arch.

Evidence of beaver.

Lots of stairs up and down.




I was so excited to see the log cabin.  The outside looked awesome.  The inside on the other hand had tons of graffiti.  A real shame.  We took a water break inside.  if you were stuck out on the trail after dark this would be an excellent shelter.  It even had little benches made of huge logs that would make a great sleeping platform.


The path went straight through the cabin.  That was fun.

Emmy shared the rest of these shots with me.  They are from her phone.  With the new computer and photo program I haven't learned how to rearrange the photos just yet.  That's coming down the road.  I just learned how to download then and put them into folders and files.

Soo....I am in training to do a little overnight backpacking trip on the AT sometime within the next year.  Today I hiked in my new awesome boots, my poles because a new hiking friend David Alejandro said I needed to use them, and I carried a daypack with 15 pounds in it.  On the AT hike I will be carrying 20-30 pounds.  Each time we hike I dad a little more weight.  It really wasn't bad.  My left shoulder was a little tight when we finished.  I'll get it all figured out.

At the trailhead.









I know we are getting close to the end of the trail when I see this.  I don't think I will ever hike these trails without think about our three new 'hiking' friends, David, Amanda and Rebekka.


Todays count....24 out of 100!  Slow progress but I am getting there!

We were all starving after all that exercise and fresh air...where to eat...Sarah's new job of course.  MJ's in Old Milford.  Really food food and excellent service!



Comments

Popular Posts