Surprise Visit To Camp

Wednesday was Family Night at Boy Scout Camp.  You could come and eat dinner with your scout and spend the rest of the evening enjoying their stinky company, go to chapel and campfire.  I have never gone before because I thought Michael might want to come home with me instead of staying the rest of the week.  Boy, was I ever wrong!  He could have cared less and I guess that is better than what it could have been.  Last minute the Arnett's asked if we would like to join them.  I said why not, can't hurt to check it out.  Mark had to work and was sorry that he missed it.
 
So we check in and got our wrist bands and then almost immediately we run into Wyatt and Logan.  That was fun.  Wyatt ran to tell Michael I was there and he wouldn't believe Wyatt.  I had to go interrupt his chess game with two very older scouts.  First thing he says is..." You are too late, you missed dinner."  Then he was off running to catch up with someone else.

The Arnett's and their plus one headed to camp.  It wasn't hard to find Michael and Jordan's tent.  And I forgot to say in the beginning that Michael had changed clothes.  This is an improvement over last year when he wore the same clothes all week  long.  Yuck!

Logan's tent was neat and tidy.  He and Wyatt are attached at the hip...buddy system at it's best!

Logan showed us what he had learned to make with his paracord.

 Home Sweet Camp Home
 
Visitors

Just hanging out

Mr. Cliffe and the boys cracking each other up.

Mess Hall/Dining Hall

Administration Building/ First Aid

The Camp Store

Chapel Service
 
I was so impressed with the scouts.  You could have heard a pin drop.  Very attentive and respectful.
 
I asked Michael why he had on long, hot jeans.  "You know mom, these aren't as hot as you think they are.  They are very well ventilated."  I'm going to have to check into a pair of these new ventilated jeans.  They sure look hot to me.  Hey, but at least he changed clothes at least once this camp.  That is a big plus.  I forgot to ask him about his oral hygiene.

Sorry for he blurry pic.  I had no idea that one of our boys would offer the opening prayer.

Camp Chaplin

Troop 468 offering the closing prayer.
 
Then we headed to the Campfire.  Lots of silly skits.  Some Grrr's and very loud chants.  Some yelling and listening to echoes across the lake.  It was a fun campfire!  There were some moving activities after the sun went down that pertained to the legends and lore of Camp Logan Reservation that we were not allowed to photograph.  Very impressive campfire. 
 
We headed back to camp to find Michael and tell him that we were leaving.  When we found him and I asked how he was doing on merit badges.  So far he has earned the Archery Merit Badge.  Today he is trying to shoot well enough to get on the Wall of Fame and something else that I really didn't understand.  One of the Assistant Scoutmasters said that Michael was very motivated to complete the merit badge.  And I guess from what he said it might be hard to earn in one day.  He also said something that made me laugh...something very tactful meaning Michael is not the fastest person in the troop.  Don't we all already know that.  Getting up and moving is a challenge but once he gets into it, he is good to go.  I will be interested to see what he accomplishes the rest of the week.  I know that Wyatt and Logan had to get up to take a 6:30AM hike to complete the Bird Study Merit Badge.
 
Looking forward to picking them up on Saturday morning.  Febreze air fresheners are already in the van!

Comments

Popular Posts