The Weekend That Almost Didn't Happen

I have been patiently waiting for this weekend it seems like for years.  If you know we very well at all, you know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!  It is an Ellis Family tradition to take one night before Christmas and gather in our bed and read the entire book.  We laugh.  We cry.  We hoot and holler. Cassie found out months ago that The Children's Threatre of Lexington was going to present the play.  Tickets were purchased and bags were packed.  One problem...the weather wasn't cooperating.  A combination of ice and snow fell the day we were to leave.  Emmy couldn't get home from work.  We just had to wait it out until it was safe enough to go.  Good choice, but a hard one.  We made it down to Lexington a few hours before the play...just enough time to eat at Local Taco (see blog on Eating Our Way Through OHIO)
 
Sorry this is so blurry.  I took it with my phone while I was crossing the street trying not to get hit.  Usually the productions are held at the Children's Theatre but since this one was going to be a bigger production it was moved to the Opera House.

It was great!  I was worried that I had built it up so much in my own little head that I might be let down.  Nothing could be as good as the book.  I love the book and I loved the production. 

My favorite character has always been Gladys.  She is a spunky, boss,y little firecracker.  In my mind this is exactly what she should look like!  
S-H-A-Z-A-M!!!
 
If you have never read the book, please go get yourself a copy.  You'll really be glad you did!

It is a tradition in Cassie's house, that on Cassie and Trevor's anniversary (10th this year) they go get their Christmas tree.  So while we were on the road, they ran to Lowe's to get one.  We got to help put it up after we got back from the play.

Mamaw and Papaw, I am posting lots of pictures of Ellis and Alaire on here just for you1


Ellis loves helping with every part of putting up the tree,

She's just a nut!



Whose star goes on top this year?  Ellis this time.

We found out that Maddie likes to eat the ornaments, especially the cinnamon applesauce one that she can reach that are on the lower half of the tree.  And it is not pretty.

Ellis likes to hang them on each finger and then on the tree.


Tree complete!
 
Cassie and Trevor go out for a nice anniversary dinner while Emmy and I hold down the fort. We stop at the RedBox for a movie (EPIC). Then off to dinner.  A stop at the Dollar Store for movie snacks is last on our list of to-do's.
 
We get home and jump into our jammies.  We are about 3/4 of the way through the movie and in walk Cassie and Trevor.  Cassie is sick.  In just a little bit we find out just how sick she is.  Not long after that Ellis gets sick, this is gross...but all over Emmys' feet.  Michael and I are rushed into the guest room and told to stay there.  Fine by me, I don't do that stuff very well.  Many hours later I sneak out of the bedroom to find Emmy on the couch with a trash can beside her and her quilt pulled up over her head..  I slowly back myself back to the bedroom.  Poor Trevor...he's on his own!

By morning things have slowed down a bit.  The Oakes are all tired, except for Alaire, the one who started this whole mess a few days ago.  I'm stripping beds and doing dishes.  Emmy is doing laundry.  Michael is staying in the guest room.  Trevor is over at the church shoveling inches of ice off the sidewalks.  Cassie and Ellis are under quilts on the couch.  Alaire is bored and wanting to do a craft.  All good Wammy's have a craft or two up their sleeves for occasions just like this.  We make a hand and foot print angel on burlap.
 
It was a fun weekend.  Now I am just crossing my fingers that we didn't bring the germs home with us!

Comments

Popular Posts