Road Trip...Marvin's

Betsy and I have been planning a road trip to Marvin's Organic Gardens for awhile. The boys were all set to go, but at the last minute Mark went to WV to spend some time with his parents and Dewey had a few jobs to tend to. So off we headed toward Lebanon with the GPS. Lot of good that did us. We got to talking and I missed the exit and didn't realize it until we were a few exits down the road. But not to fear...we stopped and asked for directions at The Black Barn (a really cool little store kinda place). It turns out that Marvin's was just down the street and around the corner. Perfect...two for one kinda day.
Betsy was in hopes that Marvin would be there but no luck, he was out of town. But we did get free rein to go in ever 'house'. I think there were about 19. We walked and touch, sniffed, pulled, oogled and ahhed over just about every plant in the place. We saw an actual buckeye on a tree. We saw a pawpaw tree. We tasted a persimmon of a persimmon tree. I accidentally knocked a fig off the fig tree. We found lots of things that we are deciding one like planters, rocking benches, creeping vines, a cute little pig.....We did come away with some pretty cool stuff...How do you like these pumpkins? Am I the only one that has never seen a yellow pumpkin? Never...seem lots of white 'boo' pumpkins, but never a yellow one.
I found the cutest three holed family birdhouse that was going to look so great in our yard, but when I picked it up there was no bottom in it. It was just for looks...'eye candy' for the yard I guess. Nope, that won't do. So I found this cute one. I love how rusty it is. And just room enough for one bird family.
I did manage to find a healthy hosta...they have all about died out. This one is a 'praying hands' hosta. Since we are trying to fill the one bed behind the pergola with all different kinds of hosta...I thought this was an excellent choice. I also found a toad lily that has the prettiest flower. I forgot to take a picture so you will just have to take my word on this one,. I am going to plant it in with the Solomon's Seal. I think it will look great. And then we came to the weird plants. I have never seen anything like this in all my years of checking out nurseries. We couldn't even come close to pronouncing the name so I took a picture of it for you...You may have to click on it to get a good look. Go ahead, you give the pronunciation a try. I'll get back to you with the common name as soon as Betsy returns my flower encyclopedia.

If you double click on the picture at the top you will be able to see lots of little yellow bugs that are looks like having lunch. It was a fun time. Betsy got lots of plants for her bathtub bed and the biggest and most beautiful color of mun , bright red almost for $5.95. She got lots of other stuff too...I think she has the gardening fever now. Look out Dewey. (FYI...Dewey and Betsy made a trip to the river and found 25 more cobblestones)

Comments

Popular Posts