River Rats...Plus One

I finally talked Mark into going to the river with us on one of his days off.

When you go junkin on the river you must always first go to Betsy's Dad's/brother's ( they live right beside each other) to check on her Dad, feed the pigs, check for chicken eggs, pet Blue and get a ribbing from William (her brother). We always have to remember to dress for the job...bug spray, long sleeves, jeans, good working in the woods shoes, water bottle, snacks..and tools. You never know what you might find and have to figure a ways to get it in the truck. This time Dewey threw in his ramps (good thing he did...more on that later). Every time we go to Betsy's Dad's I want to get a picture of the underside of the viaduct. It is my understanding that this viaduct connects the west side of Cincinnati to the rest of the world. I love to look at the steel beams and wonder how anyone ever came up with the idea. I know, I'm a geek. But I finally go my shot. This is my buddy, Blue. He is an old rabbit dog that is so sweet. He greets us with a wagging tails now that he recognizes us. He wasn't to sure about me the first time I got to go see the pigs. After checking on all the two legged and four legged friends we headed for the river bank. And don't you know the first things that happened...Dewey gets stuck on the river bank while turning around. Remember those ramps...we put one in front of the back tire and one in the front of the back tire and then Mark drove it out. Good thing he came along this time...we would have probably been digging ourselves out of China. Once we found the right location, we needed to made 'a road' through the thickets. Betsy was in charge of path construction while I was showing Mark all the cool things that we found. Dewey went to the truck and got two pair of loppers to cut everything away. Mark and Dewey scoped the right location to exit the woods. We ended up cutting pretty much away and even had to dig up a few big rock and throw them to the side. All in a days work, I say. Anything to get our treasures out of the woods. I know...who travels with a refrigerator dolly in their truck...we do. You never know when one will come in handy. And thank heaven we had this one. It was all we could do to push and pull this slab of granite out of the woods. And there are tons more for the taking. Hmmmm...wonder if I can get Mark to go back anymore? Here's our load...on granite slab and one sandstone pillar. Betsy had gotten me some grapevine from another time she was out and about. We are going to make grapevine wreaths. I know that you are wondering what in the world we are going to do with this rock stuff....



Next spring we will plant some climbing plant beside our two stone in hopes that they will climb up and fall over making this 'a very nice vertical feature to enhance interest in the yard.'

I already have my eye on another riverbank find...a stone double sink that probably weighs a million pounds. But I am thinking that if I get Bryce, Emmy, Sarah, Mark, Dewey, Betsy, Richard and Daniel...and maybe William and Betsy's Dad can come to supervise, we might just be able to get it on the dolly. The problem might be getting it off the truck and into the yard once we get home. I'll have to think on that for a minute or two. Wish me luck.

I almost forgot one of my favorite things about he day...though there are always many...we stopped at a little place down the road...a place that has the biggest and best fish sandwiches in the world. Dewey knows the owner...Dewey knows everyone. Betsy has a picture of it on her camera and until Richard sends it to me I can't document our lunch. That will be coming shortly I'm sure. Anytime you are in town and you want to go to the river with us...just let me know...it is a blast!

Comments

Popular Posts